Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Climb vs. Conventional Cutting

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
richardsalzman
321 Views, 7 Replies

Climb vs. Conventional Cutting

I have previously read that for CNC machining, use climb cutting for both roughing and finishing.  I was just checking some speeds and feeds with the CNC Wizard and noticed that they recommended conventional for roughing and climb for finishing.  I am using a 4HP benchtop mill converted to cnc.  Any thoughts on this one?

richardsalzman_0-1720573261393.png

Thanks... Richard

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

That's because you have a cut width of 3/8 with a 3/8 tool! 

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!
Message 3 of 8

Thanks!  Just to be clear, you are saying that I should use conventional for roughing and climb for finishing when the cut width is the same as the tool width?

Richard

Message 4 of 8

When cut width and tool width are the same, you're cutting with both sides of the tool, so you're climb AND conventional cutting at the same time.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 5 of 8

Thanks... I didn't think of it that way.  So does that mean I can just leave it as climb cutting for both the roughing and finishing?

Message 6 of 8

Outside of plastic or light duty manual machines, always go Climb milling.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 7 of 8

Thanks Seth.  That is what I have been doing so far.  Have a great day.

Message 8 of 8

I climb in plastic too without any issues! The only time I ever choose conventional is with 5th axis work where I go towards the vice, and would rather start outside the stock and move inwards then plunging through solid material. 

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report