Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

chamfering 3D contour with trace isnt working

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
mario_goossens
237 Views, 4 Replies

chamfering 3D contour with trace isnt working

Hi all,

I'm a Fusion 360 student. I had to make a part that i had to chamfer too. Now there is a 45degree line in the Z axis. I selected the contour with the Trace function and selected chamfer in it. I also took a chamfer mill and put it left side and chamfer tip offset on 1. 

Now it isnt doing what i hoped. I'm limited on functions since i'm just a student. Maybe this chamfering is easier with the Deburr function?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

The file that you shared doesn't have any Trace toolpaths in it, so I can only assume that you're referring to this edge here:

2023-04-16_11h17_15.png

You can get Trace to work, but I don't think the results are going to be satisfactory, since the angle of the part and the angle of the tool are the same. Yeah, it will break the edge, but the consistency won't be ideal, I don't think.

Also, if you hold a Student license, you should have access to EVERYTHING in Fusion

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 5

Ya instead of doing what the community has been asking for for years and just making the trace toolpath smarter they put it behind a paywall and called it the deburr toolpath.

- Time Magazine’s Person of the Year 2006
- Apple M1 Max rMBP A2485 // Latest MacOS // Latest Fusion
- Usually working off files uploaded to Fusion as: Step, STL, SLDPRT. If it matters ask me.
Message 4 of 5
seth.madore
in reply to: FrodoLoggins

There was no way to make Trace a smarter toolpath without basically starting from scratch. The Deburr toolpath is a licensed ModuleWorks toolpath, and as such, is an Extension item

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 5 of 5

Thanks for the feedback all. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report