Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chamfer on slope

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
scotS3G9D
153 Views, 4 Replies

Chamfer on slope

I have some parts that have a chamfer on an edge that slopes downwards.  In the past, I've used a 3d toolpath but it can be tricky for someone like me (inexperienced) to program, takes a long time to machine, etc.  Is there a way to use a chamfer tool path for something like this?  Please see the attached pic and model file.  I only have a 3 axis machine and a standard Fusion account, no machining extensions.  
Thanks, Scot

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
marcus.toepke
in reply to: scotS3G9D

You can try the operation - Projection

marcustoepke_0-1699101617590.png

or the Deburring operation (I mean this is extension)

marcustoepke_1-1699101650834.png

Message 3 of 5
scotS3G9D

Thank you, Marcus.  The trace projection will be fine...looks very nice.  Is there a way to make the chamfer go all the way in towards the round center of the part?  I cannot figure out how you have made the projected selection.  Can you help me understand? 

I thought maybe you created a sketch and selected a projection but I see no sketch.  I tried to create a sketch myself but the projection does not follow the slope/curve of the part.  

Message 4 of 5
marcus.toepke

So I first created a production model

marcustoepke_0-1699163511724.png

I then created a copy in the production model, but be careful with "paste new"!

marcustoepke_2-1699163601621.png

then I removed the bevel from the newly inserted model

I could now select the contour on this model

marcustoepke_3-1699163713179.png

The problem of machining the chamfer right up to the cylinder is of a different calibre!

From a purely physical point of view, this is quite difficult, as there is always the threat of driving the tool into the cylinder.
However, you can play with the values, depending on your tool dimensions, in the operation to get closer to your cylinder...

Change the chamfer values

marcustoepke_6-1699164302211.png

and then change the lead in / lead out values

marcustoepke_5-1699164187690.png

with this changes values you can get closer

marcustoepke_4-1699164128155.png

Message 5 of 5
scotS3G9D

Thank you for your help, Marcus!  It takes some adjustments, but it works great.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums