Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chamfer geometry changing during simulation

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
PatrickObanion
204 Views, 5 Replies

Chamfer geometry changing during simulation

I am attempting to chamfer the edges of a square surface.  The model was imported from a 2015 solidworks part file.  There is an existing 0.5mm chamfer on the edges in the model.  I have tried several different ways to chamfer this but the geometry I select is slightly offset from the original geometry selected.  For example, in this case, because there is an existing chamfer on the square surface, I can select this surface and the geometry shows up as a square that is offset 0.5mm inward from the edge of the part.  When I simulate the operation, the offset changes from 0.5mm on two opposite ends to about 1mm.  So, now the geometry is more rectangular rather then orignal square.  That is, 0.5mm offset inward on two opposite sides and about 1mm offset inward on the other two oppostie sides.  This happens if I select the surface, or select the edges of that surface to make a chain or if I even draw a sketch on that surface to make the correct geometry.  It is noticebly chamferred more on the 1mm edge when compared to the 0.5mm edge even though the original part and any attempts I make to select geometry all show the geometry correctly as 0.5mm offset inwards.  It is only when I run a simulation that the geometry changes.

Am I missing something?  This seems like a bug to me.

Thanks,

Pat

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Hi @PatrickObanion 
Can you try selecting the chain in the geometry selection tab instead of face and check again? Also, can you check whether it is model specific issue? Create a similar sample model in Fusion 360 and create the toolpath. Lastly, try using the 2D contour toolpath with chamfer.

praisetomWX9P2_1-1692237410437.png

Praise Tom
Message 3 of 6

Are you encountering this in the Design or Manufacture workspace? 

Would you be able to share your Fusion file here or privately?
File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d file in your reply. To share the file privately, it's the same process, but email it to me: seth DOT madore AT autodesk DOT com

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 4 of 6

Thanks guys..  I figured this out last night.  I am new to Fusion 360 so I expected it was probably something I was doing wrong.  I wasn't sure what to expect with the chamfer operation.  I found this new video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYrthntTlso) which was very helpful.  It was easier to fix the issue once I understood what I was suppose to be seeing.  I found that the geometry was actually correct, there was some extra meterial on the edge in which the dimension appeared to change.  Once I removed the extra radial stock from the previous operation, it seemed to work.

The only other issue I found difficult while trying to get this to work is that when I create a sketch on a surface, any constraints I add that are tied to features that are not on the sketch plane will move the sketch to the plane of that constraint feature.  SolidWorks sees to allow constraining to the projection of other features onto the current sketch plane.  Is that not possible in Fusion 360?

Thanks,

Pat

Message 5 of 6

Thanks, I think I found a solution.

Pat

Message 6 of 6

Thanks, I think I found a solution.

Pat

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums