Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Extrude or Generate tool Path

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
danmustaP28BE
464 Views, 15 Replies

Cannot Extrude or Generate tool Path

I completed a drawing for a clock face and tried to post process but Fusion would not generate the tool paths.  I went back to the sketch and tried to extrude and I could not do that either.  Profile appears to be closed. If I remove the outermost circle, I am able to extrude what would be the drop pieces but when I put the outer circle back in place it fails again....Not sure what is going on!  This is my first time posting and I am pretty green with fusion 360.  Amateur hobbyist.... Any help is appreciated!

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

What are you trying to cut? You didn't leave any toolpaths in the manufacture setup.

I have no problem extruding or is this the wrong selection?

HughesTooling_0-1687874979085.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 16
seth.madore
in reply to: danmustaP28BE

Like this?

2023-06-27_10h10_07.png

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 4 of 16

I deleted the cutting profile because it kept freezing at 91.5 percent.  Very strange but I cannot get it to extrude...  I see that it worked for you though...  I guess it must be something with my computer?

When I try to extrude, I just get a flat disc, no internal features. 

Message 5 of 16
HughesTooling
in reply to: seth.madore

@seth.madore Looking at the part and the setup it looks like this is a cutting job.

You can select the whole sketch using the sketch Profiles option and select the sketch in the browser but it gives a warning about leads not fitting. Is there any way to add points for the areas where it fails?

HughesTooling_0-1687876252907.png

One odd area is where it starts in the image below, it should cut the whole profile from there but fails.

HughesTooling_1-1687876486499.png

I guess for the uncut areas you'd need to do them in separate ops and set start point and modify the leads until it works?

Something like the attached file.

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 16

@danmustaP28BE wrote:

I deleted the cutting profile because it kept freezing at 91.5 percent.  Very strange but I cannot get it to extrude...  I see that it worked for you though...  I guess it must be something with my computer?

When I try to extrude, I just get a flat disc, no internal features. 

It does take a while to create the toolpath if you select all the profiles or use the sketch profile feature. What are your computer specs. what cpu and speed?

When you try extruding do you get a selection like this? Or are you window selecting everything?

HughesTooling_0-1687877030202.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 7 of 16

Yes, It is a cutting job.  However, in the past when I have a tool path with some sort off interference, it gives me a warning and just skips the individual paths but completes the rest.  This time it is just failing to complete any of the tool paths and freezing up.  Then, when I attempt to extrude, I just get a flat disk.  Very confusing but it seems clear that it is something that I am doing incorrectly.

Message 8 of 16

@danmustaP28BE wrote:

Very confusing but it seems clear that it is something that I am doing incorrectly.

I guess the question is how are you making the selections, are you window selecting everything?

I the machining op you can select the sketch from the browser using Sketch Profiles.

HughesTooling_0-1687877375817.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 9 of 16

Typically, I select each individual contour and then select which side of the line I want the cut.   I have never been able to get the face contour selection or the sketch selection tool to work.

I just tried it again and I was able to get the extrusion to work this time, but it still froze up at roughly 92% when generating the tool path.....  I have done a number of these clock faces the exact same way and never had an issue, just cant see what I am doing wrong.

Message 10 of 16

Can you select just on profile and generate then share that file? Just selecting the outside circle should work.

Thanks Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 11 of 16

@danmustaP28BE In preferences try check use 2d Pocket Legacy detection. I found it worked quite well selecting the face of the extruded part.

HughesTooling_0-1687881671415.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 12 of 16

Not sure what that was supposed to do, but it didnt seem to have any effect on my issue.

Message 13 of 16

Can you share a design with a toolpath? Just select the single outside circle.

What I've found with a bit more experimentation is finding where lead ins fit causes the problem. If I have a big lead that doesn't fit in some small areas it generates a toolpath quite quickly with a warning and leaves out the small profile. If I turn leads off completely it seems to stall around 95% but I guess if I left it for long enough it would finish.

I then tried selecting just the small profiles and set a start point so Fusion didn't need to find one and all the small profiles generated. So I need one of your files with a toolpath so I can try using the settings and leads you use.

Selecting a few profiles at a time seemed to work better than all at once.

HughesTooling_0-1687884449805.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 14 of 16

Yeah, when I just do the outside circle, it generates the tool path, no problem.  I have tried selecting all the entry points as well with no luck.  Even let it sit overnight and it remained right around 92%.  Attached is the update with just the outer ring selected and a tool path generated.

Message 15 of 16

Give the attached file a go. I used the model for selection just because Fusion will usually pick the right side to offset. The only problem I found was I needed to make the sketch visible to select start points in the first op. Using just the model edge I could only select seams in the surface edge.

I could only select the seam, with sketch visible I could select a place the lead would fit.

HughesTooling_0-1687888010807.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 16 of 16

I've never had to write the toolpaths in multiple profiles like that, but it worked!  I appreciate your help.  Thank You!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report