Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t get my tool paths right

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
brandont_3ba
339 Views, 15 Replies

Can’t get my tool paths right

I made it all the way to the end…. Finally! 

First project. Love the software. But I’m bumping my head against a brick wall trying to figure out what’s going wrong…

I can’t seem to get a tool path like literally at all that will cut this out. When I select “pockets” it won’t let me select all my pockets in my sketch. And there’s a bunch more stuff in the software I’m not understanding. I figured the software would automatically know what cuts it needs to do from my design already? Is there a better way to do this?

attached is a picture of my design and another picture of what it’s doing. 

52633CE6-6C35-4261-9330-36221981D415.jpeg

E9658AEA-1A55-459A-AE58-1DE45C38554C.jpeg

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
seth.madore
in reply to: brandont_3ba

Can you share your Fusion file here?
File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d file in your reply

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 16
brandont_3ba

Lets see if this works?

Message 4 of 16
seth.madore

Yep, file received!

What was your expectation with the 2D Pocket: just cut out the pour holes, or pour holes AND the sphere?

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 16
brandont_3ba

Great! 

my expectation was for it to cut out all of it. other than the lettering because id have to change over to a smaller bit.

Is this not possible? 

Message 6 of 16
seth.madore

🙂

No, not with one toolpath.

Here's what I see:

2D Contour to machine the pour holes

3D Adaptive to machine the spheres (roughing only)

Scallop or Spiral toolpath for finishing the sphere. You might need to make a Patch Surface to help constrain it.

The good thing is, you really only need to program up two of them, since we can put this all into a Pattern > Linear (or Duplication)

Seth Madore
Message 7 of 16
seth.madore

Here's an example of how one could approach this part. DO NOT use these settings for your actual toolpath, I paid no attention to speeds, feeds, depths of cuts or anything!

Snag_197fba34.png

I've attached the file here for your review. Open it up in Fusion and take a look at the steps I've taken to get you what you see

Seth Madore
Message 8 of 16
brandont_3ba

Oh wow! ya thats pretty close to what im looking for. But how did you get there? in the drop down menu when selecting 2D or 3D you made 2 different ones and synced them together? you did that pretty darn quick! 

another question, is this all able to be done with the same flat end mill bit?

Looks like a have MANY more YouTube videos to go watch!

Message 9 of 16
seth.madore

You're going to be able to do all the roughing and the slot with a flat endmill, but you really should use a Ball Endmill to finish the sphere.

Once my shop quiets down a bit, I'll try to knock out a quick video (with audio) so you can observe my steps

Seth Madore
Message 10 of 16
seth.madore

As promised;

Seth Madore
Message 11 of 16
brandont_3ba

Wow!! Thank you so much for that information!! I think you’ve explained it very well and I’ll get to working on that on my end! I knew there was something wrong with what I was doing….

One more question, does the machine automatically know for that Final Cut that I need to change out the bit? Like what does it do if so? Or do I just have to watch it very closely before hand so I can stop the machine manually and swap it out? 

You have been so much help I can’t thank you enough!! 

Message 12 of 16
seth.madore

It depends on what post processor you use. Are you using a Personal License, or do you have a Commercial?

If on Personal, you're only able to post out one tool at a time, so just create files for each tool (not toolpath, just tool).

If on Commercial, it would depend on what post processor you use. Some posts have options for "Separate file for each tool", and others have options for "No Toolchanger", which would insert an M0 (program stop) in between each tool.

Seth Madore
Message 13 of 16
brandont_3ba
in reply to: seth.madore

Ok, that makes sense!! 

One more question… I got my toolpaths to look good and everything other than 1 certain part of it. 

On the adaptive tool path it wants to cut from the bottom up…. Isn’t it better to have it cut from top to bottom like the ramp one does? 

This material is aluminum and I know it’s not a super easy material to cut like wood or what not so I’d assume if I keep my cut routes where they are now, the bit will break fairly quickly if it’s trying to take that out much material at once. 

Message 14 of 16
seth.madore

Adaptive is made to work from Bottom > Up, as it takes advantage of optimum flute length

You can cheat that a bit by setting the Max/ Stepdown to a small and equal value, that should get you closer to what you're expecting.

Seth Madore
Message 15 of 16
brandont_3ba
in reply to: seth.madore

Ok! Makes sense.

Do you think that it would cut aluminum by taking off 5/16” at a time up? 

12000 rpm max speed 

Message 16 of 16
brandont_3ba

Ok, so I did a practice cut, worked well other than 2 keys things! I’m getting close!!

First, when I start the program the bit dives about 1/8” down and over to my work piece to start its process. How do I fix this?

Second, after doing that, the bit comes back up and starts its process but the first 3 passes are not cutting anything. What could be the issue?

Please see attached video.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report