Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t figure out how to generate tool paths

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
helibum
137 Views, 5 Replies

Can’t figure out how to generate tool paths

I have a particular STL file I’d like to convert into tool paths for my Snapmaker Artisan CNC carver but I can’t figure out how to get all the cuts defined. I’m able to convert it to a solid body (step file attached). I’m especially having trouble getting the tool paths for the text to generate. I tried a 2D Adaptive Clearing operation and a 2D Pocket operation but the tool paths always come up empty. I don’t even know if I’m selecting the pockets correctly, i.e. do I select the bottom surface or the top edges? I also need the holes and edges cut. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
a.laasW8M6T
in reply to: helibum

Trying to machine .stls can be problematic, even when converted to a solid body as the holes and edges are still triangulated, the holes in this case are not detected as holes by fusion as the are not truly cylindrical.

alaasW8M6T_0-1697262902031.png

What size tool(and type of tool) where you planning on machining the feature with?  The smaller text will require the use of a 1mm endmill at the largest

alaasW8M6T_1-1697262979482.png

Message 3 of 6
helibum

I currently only have 3.175mm (1/8”) end mills, but I figured I’d have to get some smaller ones. Shouldn’t the larger text work with a 1/8”, at least for a rough cut? Fusion did detect and generate a tool path for the large rectangular hole and the counterbore on the hole with one, so maybe my mill is too big for the other holes. I’ll experiment with smaller mills. 

Message 4 of 6
helibum

I decided to redesign the whole part by projecting onto a sketch and then replacing triangulated curves with circles and arcs and then extruding. I also figured out that the mill I was trying to use was indeed too big for the holes and lettering. Even a 1/16" end mill is too big for the smaller text, so I just set the outlines of that text as machining boundaries. I have defined two operations, one with the 1/8" mill for the larger features and one with a 1/16" mill for the smaller features with a tool change Manual NC between them.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Message 5 of 6
helibum

Now I've hit another snag. I need to do a tool change and found out that the free version of F360 doesn't allow it in a single setup. So, I need to do two setups but one of the pockets gets milled once in the first setup (milling the small holes and text) and then partially milled again in the second setup (milling the borders and the large rectangular hole). I can't figure out a way to define a machining boundary that will mill inside the stock boundaries but outside the boundaries of the two features being milled twice. When the two operations were part of the same setup, everything missed as desired. It may not make any difference in the final product, but it just bugs me. I've attached the design file.

Message 6 of 6
a.laasW8M6T

Hi 

You don't need a setup for each tool, they can all be in the one setup, you just need to post them separately

Heres a  short video on how to post multiple tools from the same setup:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums