Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't compel 2D Adaptive to enter in the middle of a large area? Will not use Preferred point

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
tgford58
140 Views, 5 Replies

Can't compel 2D Adaptive to enter in the middle of a large area? Will not use Preferred point

This is a working file.  I want to move the start of the HEM cycle to the center of a large area to clear.  This keeps the tool engaged longer and should lower cycle time.

I added a point on the surface of the part to select as Preferred Start location but Fusion ignores that and reverts back to the current solution.

What am I missing here?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
programming2C78B
in reply to: tgford58

Assuming this is Alu, you can feed a lot wider then .028" with a 3/8 endmill. We often do up to 100% stepover without issue. I recomend starting at 30% and going from there.

You also dont really need to use any Lift Height. 

If you really need it, sketch a circle. 2D Contour - Ramp it out, then use that as your pre-drill location. It saves you 2 minutes. File is attached. 

programming2C78B_0-1705078776793.png

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!
Message 3 of 6
tgford58
in reply to: programming2C78B

Thank you and this is AL 5XXX jig plate.

I feed so soft because these are glued fixtures and once the center is gone I've lost a bunch of my holding power.  Sometimes it's better to be cautious.

As for lift height I really don't understand that parameter and generally gloss over it.  Can you help explain please?

Message 4 of 6
programming2C78B

If you click here, you can read all the info about it 

programming2C78B_0-1705084531257.png

programming2C78B_1-1705084568774.png

Message 5 of 6
tgford58
in reply to: programming2C78B

The solution worked but where it starts working on the feathered edge on the right side, just as it breaks out, the cutter caught the part and gave it a throw.  I probably should have foresaw that problem when I ran it in sim.

Thanks again.

Message 6 of 6
programming2C78B

In normal situations, it would probably fine but not with how youre holding it now. I'd do a simple 2D contour to where the wall forms and pre-cut that material first. You could also look into slotting or doing an adapt-slot around the part instead of turning it all to chips. Make a slot about 2x tool diameter around the part.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report