Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use compensation type: In Control without a lead-out for a 2D-contour?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Chronix_07
281 Views, 4 Replies

Can I use compensation type: In Control without a lead-out for a 2D-contour?

Hello everyone,

I recently started using Compensation type: In control on my 2D-contours within fusion. This is handy because I don't have to double check all the tool diameters before sending my NC file off to production. This works fine but there's just one slight issue...

When I use the Compensation type: In control I am also required to have a lead-in and a lead-out. I've found that however I try to set up the lead-out it will always run away from the contour line at the end of the toolpath. The distance it diverges from the contour line is equal to Compensation radius allowance. I can not get it to keep running straight along the toolpath, something that is not an issue when I use the normal compensation type: In Computer.

I'm guessing this is done for safety or something...

The problem I have with this is that I use a lot of nesting for sheet material like plywood, chipboard, rubberwood,...

Now when I get to the end of the toolpath the tool just runs into the rest material. This is still kind off okay for like 18mm chipboard or MDF, but when my router bit is 40mm deep inside of rubberwood I don't wont it to cut into the rest material on the way out. This could move the sheet on the nesting table and it will also not be very good for the router bit...  I've also tried using Wear as a compensation type but this has the same results... 

I'm basically looking for a way to set up my toolpaths with the advantages of using CT: In control without the problem of it running into the rest material at the end...

Maybe somebody here knows a little workaround this problem because I tried many things but at this point I'm out of ideas...

Thank you,

Stan

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
seth.madore
in reply to: Chronix_07

No, you cannot use compensation without a lead-in/out move. It's not about safety alone, but that the control (most, anyways) activates/deactivates cutter compensation on it's first/last move.

My suggestion is to use Wear Compensation and have the values set really low. (even a value of .005" is sufficient)

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 5
Chronix_07

Ok, putting the CRA to 0.005" would solve the lead out problem, but won't I get into troubles then when the difference in tool diameters is bigger then that value?

I might be misunderstanding what fusion wants me to do here but I thought that fusion wanted me to set up the tool as its minimum diameter in the tool library and then specify via the CRA what the maximum diameter of the tool is.

For example if I have a tool that new is 10mm in diameter but after sharpening a couple times can go down as low as 9mm then I would save my tool as a 9mm tool and add a CRA of 0.5mm (radius 0.5mm = diameter 1mm). This way I get a range of 9mm to 10mm for my tool.

Again, I might just be misunderstanding something here, I'm guessing the CRA value is perhaps not as important as I thought at first...

Thanks,

Stan

Message 4 of 5
seth.madore

No, you're on the right track.

However, compensation radius allowance opens up some issues of accuracy. I prefer to have my CRA set to zero and then I define the tools how they actually measure.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 5 of 5

what I do in these situation is make the lead in 1deg, .001" on both dimensions. We rarely comp more than 0.001" on any tool that isn't a threadmill. 

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report