Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone give tips links to tutorials or YouTube so I can learn how to build coil windings around Core of electric armature

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Reply
Message 1 of 24
lanparty233
793 Views, 23 Replies

Can anyone give tips links to tutorials or YouTube so I can learn how to build coil windings around Core of electric armature

Hello everyone, I am reaching out to you all for some guidance and assistance in learning how to build coil windings around the core of an electric armature.

I have a keen interest in this subject and would greatly appreciate any tips, recommended links to tutorials, or YouTube channels that could help me acquire the necessary knowledge and skills to build better coils.

 

There is a high importance of properly winding coils around the core of an electric armature to ensure optimal performance in my design for EMS testing at a later date on Autodesk Inventor.

However, I am currently in need of practical guidance to effectively execute this process.
I believe that learning from experts in the field and accessing educational resources would be invaluable in enhancing my understanding of the program a lot more.

 

Could someone kindly provide me with some pointers or recommend specific resources that cover the techniques and best practices for coil winding around electric armature cores?

I am particularly interested in video tutorials or comprehensive guides that offer step-by-step instructions.

Any insights or expertise you can share would be highly appreciated.

 

Additionally, if there are any industry-specific websites, forums, or communities where professionals discuss coil winding techniques or share their experiences, I would be grateful if you could direct me to those as well.
I would love to get some or any input possible from people who have hands-on experience in this field would be immensely beneficial in further expanding my knowledge how to use the program better and make more functional design

 

The types of coil winding I'm trying to do is like this patent Diagram image:

00120001.png

 

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
seth.madore
in reply to: lanparty233

While it's possible that there's someone in the Fusion community that could give you some guidance, I wouldn't hold my breath on this. As this forum is geared towards the use of the software (Fusion 360), I'm not quite sure how well this thread aligns with that 🤔


Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 24
lanparty233
in reply to: lanparty233

"@seth.madore in reply to: lanparty233

While it's possible that there's someone in the Fusion community that could give you some guidance, I wouldn't hold my breath on this. As this forum is geared towards the use of the software (Fusion 360), I'm not quite sure how well this thread aligns with that 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

 


I have been utilizing Autodesk Inventor and Fusion 360 to enhance my skills and knowledge for my patent.

I do apologize if my previous inquiries seemed unrelated to coil building in Fusion 360.

 

To provide clarity, my main objective is to acquire comprehensive knowledge in constructing wire coils for electric motors in both fusion 360 and Autodesk Inventor.

 

Unfortunately, I have encountered limited resources and information regarding this specific aspect within Fusion 360 or Autodesk Inventor but please note: (I'm on a 30 day trial for Autodesk Inventor).

 

However, it is worth also noting that Fusion 360 and Autodesk Inventor are interconnected, allowing for the seamless transfer of designs between the two software platforms, facilitating extensive testing and evaluation.

 

Moreover, the ability to save files to the Fusion 360 cloud from Autodesk Inventor will prove to be incredibly convenient for saving files and accessibility over time.

 

Message 4 of 24
HughesTooling
in reply to: lanparty233

Are you just after info on how to model the coils in Fusion or how to actually design them so they work in the real world?

 

Modeling the coils is doable using the sweep and pipe features.

 

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature


Message 5 of 24
lanparty233
in reply to: HughesTooling


@HughesTooling wrote:

Are you just after info on how to model the coils in Fusion or how to actually design them so they work in the real world?

 

Modeling the coils is doable using the sweep and pipe features.

 

Mark


Thank you @HughesTooling this will give me something to research over, as I could never find the right search terms to find the right information, all I would end up with was spring coils.

 

Hopefully this will point me in the right direction. 

 

Google search results for YouTube tutorials. 

Message 6 of 24

Just to give you some idea of the process, here's an example using a twisted sweep then cut with a filleted rectangle.

HughesTooling_0-1686594644421.png

File's attached. It will be a bit tedious building all the coils but could be done.

 

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature


Message 7 of 24
lanparty233
in reply to: HughesTooling


@HughesTooling wrote:

Just to give you some idea of the process, here's an example using a twisted sweep then cut with a filleted rectangle.

HughesTooling_0-1686594644421.png

File's attached. It will be a bit tedious building all the coils but could be done.

 


 

 

Thank you very much for that information @HughesTooling, this knowledge will come in very handy to me. You have given me a valuable building block to work off.

 

I will watch a few tutorials on the sweep, twisted sweep and pipe functions also become more acquainted with how to use the tools, so I can build better model designs.

 

Thanks  again for your time.

 

 

Message 8 of 24
lanparty233
in reply to: HughesTooling


@HughesTooling wrote:

Just to give you some idea of the process, here's an example using a twisted sweep then cut with a filleted rectangle.

HughesTooling_0-1686594644421.png

File's attached. It will be a bit tedious building all the coils but could be done.

 


Thank you very much again @HughesTooling you are a true life saver.

 

I wanted to reach out and express my appreciation for the template you provided. I must say, it has been incredibly helpful, and I wanted to extend my thanks to you.

 

I want to start by saying, thank you for sharing the template. It's exactly what I've been looking for, and it will make a significant difference in my workflow.

 

If I had received this template a few months ago, I might have found it a bit overwhelming. However, it arrived at the perfect time, allowing me to understand and utilize it effectively.

 

I've been able to figure out most of the template's features, but there are still a few areas that I need to work on. It's a powerful template, and I've come to realize that I wouldn't have been able to create something like this on my own, given my current level of understanding of Fusion 360. It took me a whole day to grasp the functionalities, but now I feel more confident in using it.

 

I'm impressed by your expertise in developing such a comprehensive template. It goes beyond my current knowledge of Fusion 360, and I'm grateful for the effort you've put into it. The template is going to be a game-changer for me, and I believe there is even more potential to explore.

 

Once again, thank you for your support and for sharing this remarkable template. Your assistance will make a significant impact on my productivity and workflow, and I wanted to express my gratitude.

 

98kbCtvMeq.png

 

Message 9 of 24
lanparty233
in reply to: lanparty233

This file has been compiling for a long time it is still going after 55 hours.

 

Note to self also anyone else planning to use this template,(Do not make your example or tests on a  large scale as it will take days to compile)

 

On my computer fusion uses max about 12 to 15% of my CPU most time's in standard average use about 0 to 6%. 

Ram depending on files and how many open can use up to 90% of 128gb (90% including standard windows operations in task manager).

Ram usage on current coil test, is only 4 gig of ram. 

Fusion only uses 3% max of my GPU at any time.

 

Q. Is there anyway to speed this up?

 

I have looked all over the internet and it seems fusion only uses single core mainly and multi core for some tasks.  

 

I can not get into fusion at the moment on my PC as the front end froze a few hours ago, because windows wants to do updates also windows update turned off my WIFI in the system. 

I can not restart the PC to fix the problem as the computer is still working on fusion in the background little lone the front end is frozen. 

Fusion will not close as there is a Job in progress to complete. 

Message 10 of 24
HughesTooling
in reply to: lanparty233

It's not just Fusion but CAD in general that is single threaded. How many turns are in the coil you're trying to create? One thing to be careful with is don't overlap the wires, make sure the pitch is more than the wire diameter.

 

Another thought is use an assembly for the finished "coil" and have each part in separate designs. Not just for the parts that make us one section like below but 3 or 4 designs for the coil, inner, middle, outer for example. You can combine in the final assembly if you need to end up with a single body.

HughesTooling_0-1686928232680.png

 

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature


Message 11 of 24
lanparty233
in reply to: HughesTooling


@HughesTooling wrote:

It's not just Fusion but CAD in general that is single threaded. How many turns are in the coil you're trying to create? One thing to be careful with is don't overlap the wires, make sure the pitch is more than the wire diameter.

 

Another thought is use an assembly for the finished "coil" and have each part in separate designs. Not just for the parts that make us one section like below but 3 or 4 designs for the coil, inner, middle, outer for example. You can combine in the final assembly if you need to end up with a single body.

HughesTooling_0-1686928232680.png

 


 

Thanks for your reply @HughesTooling, its a shame you can only use 1 core and a few threads on 1 pc at a time would be nice if while 1 pc was compiling you could work on another computer.

 

Because the computer needed to do windows updated I had to manually shut down my pc, I have not had time to go back into fusion over the past few days, due to family matter I had to attend to. 

 

Another thing is, I had upload problems with one of my files so, I have not been able to divide it up as yet as it was built from a sketch without dimensions or constraints, with the intention of scalability for smaller sizes in the future but i will have to research into the assembly functions and how to use it for the coil and other parts of the motor as I would like to animate the model at some point if I am able to. 

 

Quote: (don't overlap the wires, make sure the pitch is more than the wire diameter)  I will keep that in mind. 

 

As a self-taught individual, I sometimes approach tasks in unconventional ways and lack complete understanding of all functions in F360 software. There are many functions in this software that I am not yet familiar with, especially those executed using shortcut keys as you see the use a shortcut key in tutorials so you get lost following along as I don't know what they press or how they got that function to work, that's were the tutorial basically ends for me, but have to say your input is teaching me a lot, Thank you again 

 

 

 

Message 12 of 24
lanparty233
in reply to: lanparty233

My computer dose not seem to be taking ver long with the template now. The computer might of had a glitch as it compiles the files no problem now, no matter what size I make them.

 

Question: How do I use the pipe path to move the coil/pipe back in length as I can not work it out on this template I can size it but can not move the coil back half a turn. 

Example image:

opera_ckoZrNU5xI.png

 

I think I have the template 95% worked out. I have to make some mods to my design to accommodate for the whole coil.

 

Fusion360_YAaqHLaJv2.png

 

I just have to build on this coil now and then learn how to use all the assemble functions other then just new component.  Also got a question when importing a model to a new file using insert derive, how come it dose not copy over model components names and folders if addressed to a component in the original file. 

Message 13 of 24
HughesTooling
in reply to: lanparty233

Looking at the image above I see you have all bodies in the main component. When making assemblies you should create a component for each part and make the components self contained. See Rule #1

 

Also Move is almost always wrong. You should either build in the correct place or use a joint to position components. As you didn't create components you'll probably need to start again I'm afraid. Can you share the design you've got, I might be able to turn the bodies into components but hard to explain. Note do not use Create Components from bodies, as you want to create different versions best to do it the correct way now!

 

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature


Message 14 of 24
HughesTooling
in reply to: lanparty233


@lanparty233 wrote:

 

Question: How do I use the pipe path to move the coil/pipe back in length as I can not work it out on this template I can size it but can not move the coil back half a turn. 

Example image:

 


 

The best way to shorten the coil by half a turn would be to edit the height parameter and reduce it by half the pitch.

So edit the height from 15mm to 14.25mmClipboard01.png

After edit. This should work automatically but I found it broke the pipe and I needed to edit and reselect the path.

Clipboard02.png

 

The trouble is chain selection selects the 3 sections of the twisted surface you don't need. When selecting the path, have chain selection enabled to make the selection. Then uncheck chain selection, hold down the Ctrl key and unselect these 3 edges.

Clipboard03.png

After unselection.

Clipboard04.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature


Message 15 of 24
HughesTooling
in reply to: lanparty233

The template I uploaded before was a bit of a hack of something I already had. As it seems to work for you I've done a bit more work on it, see attached file.

I've made the coil a component so you can now use Copy / Paste New to create independent copies.

Also added some more parameters to control the size of the could (the width and length are centrelines of the wire).

Clipboard01.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature


Message 16 of 24
lanparty233
in reply to: HughesTooling


@HughesTooling wrote:

Looking at the image above I see you have all bodies in the main component. When making assemblies you should create a component for each part and make the components self contained. See Rule #1

 

Also Move is almost always wrong. You should either build in the correct place or use a joint to position components. As you didn't create components you'll probably need to start again I'm afraid. Can you share the design you've got, I might be able to turn the bodies into components but hard to explain. Note do not use Create Components from bodies, as you want to create different versions best to do it the correct way now!

 

Mark


Hello Mark @HughesTooling, thanks again for your reply, after reading over rule one and watching the video, I noticed a major error I have done the whole time using fusion 360,  it also answers my questions why components were not being copied over to different projects,  that is because (I have Never Ever Activated a component 😵) this would be one of the root courses to a lot of my problems, as I never knew you had to activate them. 

 

When my file stopped updating to the cloud, I lost all my history but with the resent F360 update I have been able copy files over from cache. I believe this is  because of the recent update. I believe the file is no longer needed in the cloud to copy over to a new project, the new file updates only need to be in cache to copy over. Because I have had to copy the files over to this new project. I will have to create components from bodies ( I know you said not too, but I'm to far along in the project I would have to rebuild the hole project), I tried to build a component but it gave me this error, as I had to use insert derive to copy over the file to new project. 

ahqFxQuH9q.png

 

Since I have been getting your guidance I have come to realise that their is a lot I have been doing the wrong way. I jumped into the F360 program then used it more like art software more then a CAD program and did not follow basic rules, that I did not fully understand at the time, if I did realise this earlier the knowledge most likely would of saved a lot of trial and errors and mistakes. 

I realise now, I should be using Construct and the plane functions.  Import the sketch onto that plane, then edit the sketch on that plane, then extrude template pipes from that plane to height need. If component is activated it will save all file history in that files component,  for easier editing in the timeline this also makes the time line more functional to work with. 

 

Darryl

Message 17 of 24
lanparty233
in reply to: HughesTooling


@HughesTooling wrote:

@lanparty233 wrote:

 

Question: How do I use the pipe path to move the coil/pipe back in length as I can not work it out on this template I can size it but can not move the coil back half a turn. 

Example image:

 


 

The best way to shorten the coil by half a turn would be to edit the height parameter and reduce it by half the pitch.

So edit the height from 15mm to 14.25mm

After edit. This should work automatically but I found it broke the pipe and I needed to edit and reselect the path.

 

 

The trouble is chain selection selects the 3 sections of the twisted surface you don't need. When selecting the path, have chain selection enabled to make the selection. Then uncheck chain selection, hold down the Ctrl key and unselect these 3 edges.

 

After unselection.

 


Thanks for Explaining that, also for letting me know what short cut keys to use. I did not think to try pitch to adjust the length of the pipe as I have pitch at 6mm.

Message 18 of 24
lanparty233
in reply to: HughesTooling


@HughesTooling wrote:

The template I uploaded before was a bit of a hack of something I already had. As it seems to work for you I've done a bit more work on it, see attached file.

I've made the coil a component so you can now use Copy / Paste New to create independent copies.

Also added some more parameters to control the size of the could (the width and length are centrelines of the wire).

Clipboard01.png


Sorry you uploaded a image file as the attachment, I can only see the image no new template. 

Message 19 of 24
HughesTooling
in reply to: lanparty233


@lanparty233 wrote:

@HughesTooling wrote:

The template I uploaded before was a bit of a hack of something I already had. As it seems to work for you I've done a bit more work on it, see attached file.

I've made the coil a component so you can now use Copy / Paste New to create independent copies.

Also added some more parameters to control the size of the could (the width and length are centrelines of the wire).

 


Sorry you uploaded a image file as the attachment, I can only see the image no new template. 



Sorry about that! I've updated that post and attached the correct file.

 

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature


Message 20 of 24
lanparty233
in reply to: HughesTooling


@HughesTooling wrote:

@lanparty233 wrote:

@HughesTooling wrote:

The template I uploaded before was a bit of a hack of something I already had. As it seems to work for you I've done a bit more work on it, see attached file.

I've made the coil a component so you can now use Copy / Paste New to create independent copies.

Also added some more parameters to control the size of the could (the width and length are centrelines of the wire).

 


Sorry you uploaded a image file as the attachment, I can only see the image no new template. 



Sorry about that! I've updated that post and attached the correct file.

 


Thank you for updating the file. I have not been able to look at the file as of yet as I just finished naming all the components also the components inside that file.

 

I have a question to ask, is it better to build the components like the images below one is the old way, I use to do it. Image (A).  Second image is the new way I have done it now. Image (B). Should I activate the new way, or make it like the old way with the bodies in one component. Just thought I would ask advice before I activate the files.

 

Image (A)Image (A)

 

                                                            

Image (B)Image (B)

 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums