Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cam without extruding

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
VisualConduct
267 Views, 11 Replies

Cam without extruding

As far as I know, it's possible to create tool paths without extruding the sketch..... by only using the drawn lines.

However, I cannot find any information on how to do this.... Any thoughts?

Best regards, Robert

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
seth.madore
in reply to: VisualConduct

This will only work with 2D toolpaths, both milling and 2D Profile (waterjet path). 

Honestly, it's often more work, as you're limited on selections for depths and various other aspects. 

Could you share an image of what you're working with and we can make some additional recommendations? Perhaps share a file as well?

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 12
VisualConduct
in reply to: seth.madore

Thanks Dear Seth 🙂 Its just some simple designs that I will cut from plywood, I need to cutout the outline and drill some holes. Using only the paths is how I used to do it in Artcam. Many thanks for helping. Best regards, Robert

SidePanel_0001_Main.jpg

Message 4 of 12
seth.madore

Could you share that actual file?

File > Epxort > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d file in your reply

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 12
VisualConduct

Yes, File is attached...

Best, Robert

Message 6 of 12
seth.madore

That is one interesting file you have there. What was the source?

You have 1,143 sketches, for what really should be one, maybe two sketches. Due to this amount of open sketches, CAM is going to be an immense exercise in frustration, to put it mildly.

Furthermore, everything in those sketches is a "Spline" entity, so you won't even be able to select "hole" features, requiring you to create new sketch geometry.

Seth Madore
Message 7 of 12
seth.madore

Give this a view, let me know if you have any questions!

Seth Madore
Message 8 of 12
VisualConduct

Thanks, Seth.... Yes, I know of the problem and trying to find out how to solve this.

Originally, this was created in C4D, that original file does import in Fusion360 but does not show up in the viewport of Fusion360 (in the past this worked fine). So I was advised to import it in MOI and then export it again as a DFX. Still don't know how to fix this.

Best, Robert

Message 9 of 12

Can you share the original DXF please. Also have you tried QCad to do the conversion? 

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 12
VisualConduct

This is a wonderful help, 🙂 Maybe I would be better off recreating this based on the drawing from C4D.

Many thanks... much appreciated! Robert

Message 11 of 12

Thanks dear Mark..... 

No, I did not try Qcad.... do you think it might help?

Attached the DFX exported from C4D.

Kind regards, robert

Message 12 of 12

@VisualConduct wrote:

Thanks dear Mark..... 

No, I did not try Qcad.... do you think it might help?

Kind regards, robert

After looking at the DXF, no! Unfortunately the circular profiles are made from lines in the DXF, I wondered if MOI had converted them to lines but that's not the case. You should probably start to learn how to design in Fusion as in the long run it will save time.

Does C4D have any options on how it creates the DXF? Is C4D a mesh design only, looking at the file types it can export it seems to only export meshes.

This is what I see in Rhino for a hole, 68 straight lines, I guess from the mesh edges.

HughesTooling_0-1686071246833.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums