Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAM - Jig issue

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
IAmCaprani
324 Views, 12 Replies

CAM - Jig issue

Hey all,

I don't venture into these forums much but I am at a loss and don't know anyone that can provide the insight I need, I have done a bunch of googling and nothing seems to quite fit the issue I have.

So I have grabbed a 12mm piece of MDF and machined a space to use as a jig to create a project I am working on.

If you see in the first image, I have positioned the XYZ Work zero from the front left corner of the jig. This is where I would like to keep it so that I always have that reference and can work from there.

The issue I am having is despite setting up new stock with the same point for the part I want to machine, the Z height is never correct. The path goes way too deep into the stock as if it is using the Work zero point as the top of the stock. 

I have found a workaround using a block in the corner and probing z height from the parts I want to machine, this seems to work however I want to be able to reference everything from that point on the jig without having to do this.

Is this at all possible or will I always have to reference the top of the stock here?

I am using a Workbee OX

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
seth.madore
in reply to: IAmCaprani

Are you referring to "goes to deep" as when it's on the machine, or just in viewing the resulting toolpath in Fusion?

Can you share your Fusion file and your posted code so we may examine what's going on?

File > Export  > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d file in your reply

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 13
IAmCaprani

It cuts too deep when on the machine, the simulation seems to be fine.

I have attached the .f3d File
There are 3 set ups. One made the jig

The other two are WZ_Current which is what I am using for the solution right now

and WZ_Want which is where I want the Work XYZ to be. It was my hope that if this is the Work Zero and the stock for the part is higher it would not to retract up and use the "STOCK TOP" from where it is in this set up, but it seems to use it from the work XYZ on the jig.

My solution works when I probe the top of the stock material I want to cut.

Message 4 of 13
seth.madore

And what post processor are you using?

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 13
IAmCaprani

The one from the workbee ox - Duet controller

Message 6 of 13
seth.madore

Well, the "hasissues" code is correct, in regards to the top of the part being properly located from where you've placed the WCS origin. The distance from the top of your MDF fixture to the bottom of the last Z level of your Adaptive tool is -6.50mm:

Snag_22cac099.png

Your code reflects this:

Snag_22c9cbf8.png

How are you establishing the length of your tool?

Seth Madore
Message 7 of 13
IAmCaprani

There is nothing within the Duet controller to establish anything in regards to tool length as its a fairly basic hobby machine, this is what someone told me a while back. I am open to any new information however!

I currently swap tools and probe the Z height as entering tool lengths in fusion has never seem to have made a difference as the machine has nowhere to store that or utilise the information as far as I am aware. This is what is making me think I will need to use the top face of my stock material and probe it to cut accurately. 

I have not viewed g code in such a manner that you are using currently, does the first cut start about 13mm above where the work zero is? 

Message 8 of 13
seth.madore

The first cut starts at 15mm above where your WCS is set in Fusion:

Snag_22d44109.png

All controls (even simple ones) have the ability to set a tool length, although it may not be something that you can physically see. This may either be in the manner of using a tool probe/touch plate, or simply bringing the tool down to a known surface and pressing a "store Z" button on a controller. This will either update an internal location of the Z surface, or store a length for that active tool. 

Seth Madore
Message 9 of 13
IAmCaprani

Yea, so all I would do is place the probe plate ontop of the surface or on the corner and run the probe sequence this then sets the Work Zero on the machine. Never seen any reference to tool length other than the setting in fusion.

So what you are saying is from what you can see, it should do exactly as I need it to already? it should retract the distance required up from the work zero and start at the correct height as in the simulation ? 

I will try this again and see how it fairs - I might have had another setting such as the stepdown wrong. 

Message 10 of 13
IAmCaprani
in reply to: seth.madore

What software are you using to view this code?

Do you know if it is possible to simulate in fusion 360 as if it was starting from the work zero and showing that movement? 

Message 11 of 13
seth.madore

So, in the screenshot you shared, "Set Z" is performing the function of establishing the tool length AND setting where the Z zero is at the same time. It's simple, but it works.

You'll still need to manually jog the spindle and tool to be above the work pieces, otherwise the first move in your program is going to cut through your material

Seth Madore
Message 12 of 13
seth.madore

I'm using what's called a "backplotter". This is a paid-for program, but there are some free options out on the web:
https://ncviewer.com/

http://www.nc-corrector.inf.ua/index_EN.htm

Seth Madore
Message 13 of 13
IAmCaprani
in reply to: seth.madore

I just ran a basic facing operation with the Work Zero from the jig point and it all seems to be fine!

I must have had the adaptive set with a very high stepdown or something before, but being new to all of it thought something was wrong in what I had set up. It all seems to be OK! 

Thankyou so much for the time spent helping me look into this, I am not much of a forum user but I feel if I had started using them a little sooner my learning process would have cause much fewer headaches.

Thanks again, I think I can work with this now, especially knowing I need to jog it above the part first and it wouldn't just retract itself and work from there. I will just Home-Z so its at maximum height before starting all jobs in future.

Thanks again

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums