Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cam Help

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
McclurSL76
142 Views, 7 Replies

Cam Help

I am making my sencond guitar and i want to know if there is any way to make my toolpaths more effietient 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
marcus.toepke
in reply to: McclurSL76

Your Scallop1 goes down the vertical wall, in my opinion it isn't very nice.

And it isn't very clean at some areas

marcustoepke_0-1708628202969.png

I Try Geodetic operation and it seems much cleaner

marcustoepke_1-1708628244819.png

Maybe try to check area sorting for your roughing operation Adaptive1

And don't click only simply all. Try to do breaking your Operations in some sub parts

Message 3 of 8
McclurSL76
in reply to: marcus.toepke

Could you elaborate I am new to cam

Message 4 of 8
McclurSL76
in reply to: marcus.toepke

also what d you think my step over should be for a 1/4 ball nose on the finish pass

Message 5 of 8
seth.madore
in reply to: McclurSL76

I would not use Scallop on any surface that is perfectly flat, there are far better toolpaths and tools to use. Now, if you're looking for a special finish that's created from using a ball nose tool on a flat surface, that's another story all together. I suspect that is not the case?

Consider your Scallop toolpath. It clocks in at 52 minutes, which seems excessive to me. By just using "Touch Faces" and selecting the sculpted surfaces, we end up with a time of 12 minutes:

2024-02-23_08h13_23.png

As for stepover size? Well, it depends on how much sanding you wish to perform on the part. Your current stepover is going to give you a ~40(ish) surface finish, which is rather smooth. Bumping your Stepover up to .022 is going to give you a 125 finish which should be easily sandable, and have the added bonus of dropping your toolpath to 7.4 minutes. 

If this is wood, a 125 finish should be pretty smooth, I would expect.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 6 of 8

In wood you should surface at 10% stepover. This is equivalent to a 220 grit sanded surface. You will not be sanding away cusps, but just sanding.

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!
Message 7 of 8

@programming2C78B wrote:

In wood you should surface at 10% stepover. This is equivalent to a 220 grit sanded surface.

Good to know. My guess of .022" wasn't too far off the mark

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 8 of 8

The guys who sell intricate carvings/sculptures will do 5-8% so they don't have to sand at all and reduce fuzz, but I just did rifle inletting at 10% and the wood is shiny and smooth. 

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums