Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boring Small Holes

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
richardsalzman
151 Views, 2 Replies

Boring Small Holes

Quick question.  I have some 4-40 tapped holes that are for set screws.   I would like to counter bore with a 1/8 inch larger hole that is about .300 deep.  I was thinking of using a 1/8 inch end mill to machine this small flat bottomed counter bore.  I CAMed the counterbore using a deep drilling cycle.  Just curious of there is a better way to do this.  I am not sure if you are supposed to use end mills with a deep drilling - full retract toolpath.  The material is 6061 aluminum.

richardsalzman_0-1683856914979.png

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

You can certainly do this with a drilling cycle, endmills aren't great at plunging so feed rate should be fairly conservative.

Another thing to consider is that endmills do not actually have a flat bottom, they are slightly dished inward towards the center.

this normally isn't too much of a problem, but if you need a true flat bottom hole you need to use a counterbore or other suitable tool

Message 3 of 3

Thanks.. That is very helpful!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums