Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boring Head in Mill

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
info99H4D
103 Views, 7 Replies

Boring Head in Mill

I've got a job that I'll be running an offset boring head on Omega Products 12mm Boring Head - 0.01mm Graduation - F1 12 - Range 10 – Protool Precision Tools (pr....  The question is how do I go about programming this?

I could use the reaming cycle however the insert will rub on the way back up.  On a manual mill I'd bore to the bottom of the hole, orient the spindle, jog away from hole centreline so that the boring bar clears the bore and retract in Z.  I believe most CNC's have the capabilities to do this but is it possible to program it in Fusion?  I've got quite a few parts and boring is the most practical solution for this but I'd rather not double my cycle time if I can help it.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
seth.madore
in reply to: info99H4D

Use the "Fine Boring - shift" cycle in the Drilling toolpath

2024-02-21_10h10_38.png

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 8
seth.madore

You will most likely need to adjust your post processor to accept this cycle, not all of them are formatted for this type of cycle. Furthermore, you may need to adjust some parameters in your controller to orient in a certain spot. If your machine has a mechanical spindle lock (older machines are commonly equipped with such a lock), you're going to have to again, adjust your post to output the proper direction.

Seth Madore
Message 4 of 8
info99H4D

Brilliant - thank you.  

It would seem my post processor supports this and posts the following code:

G98 G76 X0. Y76.009 Z-92.9 R1. P0. Q0.25 F90.9

I'm assuming the I just need to create a drill in the tool library with the appropriate size?

Message 5 of 8
seth.madore

Awesome, good to hear!

You'd actually create a Boring bar:

2024-02-21_10h27_08.png

But, just so you know; you're going to see a solid cylinder that represents the bar in motion. With the "Shift" option, you will also likely see collisions on the retract. We haven't put a lot (any, really) of work into producing an accurate simulation with a spinning boring bar in this scenario.

Seth Madore
Message 6 of 8
info99H4D

Thanks.  I did try a boring bar nicked from my lathe tool library but got an error "toolpath is not supported for the given tool and settings".   Not really a huge issue though.  For this application I can live without the accurate simulation.

Message 7 of 8
seth.madore

Yep, you want to use one that's been defined from the "Hole Making" tab, not the "Turning":

2024-02-21_10h38_11.png

Seth Madore
Message 8 of 8
info99H4D

Brilliant, thank you. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums