Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boring Gouges Face of Bore (Turning)

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
info99H4D
187 Views, 10 Replies

Boring Gouges Face of Bore (Turning)

I see this has come up before but with no real solution (Link).

When I am finish boring a pre-drilled hole and facing below centreline Fusion rolls the tool into X0 thus gouging the part (screen grab below)

info99H4D_0-1696273592082.png

The only way I have found to get around this is to set an offset in the inner radius however the resulting G-code then doesn't go all the way to X0 thus leaving a pip unless I hand edit.

Now I have had a bit of a play and found that if "Make Sharp Corners" is checked in the Passes tab it will post to machine to X0 but it still won't go below that even if I've got a value in the "distance to cut below inner" field and therefore I will still get a pip due to the tool nose radius.  In this instance I am using a tool with a .4 mm nose rad so ideally Fusion would machine to X-0.8 mm in the same way as it would a facing cycle. 

Is there a fix or a reliable workaround for this issue?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
seth.madore
in reply to: info99H4D

Would you be able to share your Fusion file here?
File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d/.f3z file in your reply.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 11
info99H4D

Hi, Thanks for your reply.  Unfortunately I have an NDA in place so can't post it publicly but I'll drop you a DM with the file.

***EDIT*** It appears you can't attach a file to a DM.  Could you please DM an email address and I'll be more than happy to share.

Message 4 of 11
akash.kamoolkar

@info99H4D have you tried checking make sharp corners and setting the inner radius tool limit to contact point?

Regards,

Akash Kamoolkar
Software Development Manager
Message 5 of 11
info99H4D
in reply to: akash.kamoolkar

Hi Akash,

Yes, both of those options have been selected:

info99H4D_0-1696313756427.png

info99H4D_1-1696313781182.png

Message 6 of 11
info99H4D

I wonder if the issue is somehow linked to the clearance radius.  In the example below I have set the inner radius to a diameter of 20mm - I have only done this so that the inner radius is not overlaid on top of the clearance radius - the problem persists with this set to zero, stock ID or model ID.  As you can see even though I have set the clearance to stock ID and allowed a negative offset the clearance radius is still shown at zero.  I wonder if this is what is preventing the tool passing below X0.

info99H4D_0-1696313953326.png

Message 7 of 11
HughesTooling

Is it the same problem I reported here? I did find setting the inner radius to 0.01mm would fix the problem but as soon as the inner rad is zero you get a gouge.

EDIT Can you make a dummy file you can share here that shows the problem?

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 11
info99H4D
in reply to: HughesTooling

Hi, yes it appears to be a similar issue.  I'll try to create a dummy file later this evening when I get a chance.

I can get the tool to cut to X0 without a gouge, it's just it won't go past X0 to compensate for the tool nose radius so in my instance using a boring bar I'll get a pip in the middle.

Message 9 of 11
info99H4D

Please accept my apologies for the delay in my reply - I've been pretty busy and I must admit it slipped my mind!

I've attached a super simple dummy part which demonstrates the issue.

Message 10 of 11
akash.kamoolkar

@info99H4D when i check "make sharp corners" the gouge disappears. Have you tried doing that? On another note, this issue will be fixed by a separate project we are currently working on.

Regards,

Akash Kamoolkar
Software Development Manager
Message 11 of 11
info99H4D
in reply to: akash.kamoolkar

Thank you for the response.  

I did try that on the original part however it didn't work (see screen shots above).  On this dummy part however it did work so I wonder if it's tied to a combination of settings?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report