Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bore milling in drill Operation no longer possible with Face mill!?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
marcus.toepke
95 Views, 4 Replies

bore milling in drill Operation no longer possible with Face mill!?

Hi all!

I am of the opinion that I have done the bore milling before with Face Mills!

But now it no longer works!

Or am I mistaken that it was possible and if so, why can't it be done!????

With flat endmill all work fine!

marcustoepke_0-1694616921697.png

But with face mill:

marcustoepke_1-1694616980258.png

marcustoepke_2-1694617257587.png

I could of course just create a flat endmill as a facemill, but then the output in the tool list would be completely wrong.
If I were working alone this would not be a problem, but I would give the whole thing to work through!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
engineguy
in reply to: marcus.toepke

@marcus.toepke 

Hmmm, maybe it was the 2D Bore toolpath that you used before ?? That does work with a Face Mill Tool 🙂

File attached.

Message 3 of 5
marcus.toepke
in reply to: engineguy

Yeah I know that it works with 2D bore mill, but it results in masses of data, with the cycle version I have only a nice cycle! 😉
Even if I am wrong and it was not possible before, it is still very incomprehensible why tools that work well for such operations are blocked!

Message 4 of 5
seth.madore
in reply to: marcus.toepke

Because it's a "Drill" cycle (yes, you've selected Bore, but it's primary action is "Drill"), I don't think a Facemill has ever been possible for selection. I can ask around as to the "why", but it may take a bit.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 5 of 5

it may be preventative since most face mills are not center cutting and can't blind bore into a hole unless its a certain % of the tool Dia. I'd just cheat with an endmill of the same Dia and tool # or use 2D bore, as suggested. I didn't even know you could from the Drill menu. 

programming2C78B_0-1694620394878.jpeg

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums