Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blending a circular groove without crashing.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
ian1196
199 Views, 4 Replies

Blending a circular groove without crashing.

Learning Fusion and I want to machine a boss on a plate. I want to start at the boss as if the finished plate were very thin. I am using Contour2D. to mill several circular slots. When I do this, the tool path swings out to blend at the bottom of the slot. I want to avoid this. I would like to stay on the milling path and blend up to avoid tool stop mark. See drawing. How do I do this? Note my tool is designed for shallow cuts only.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
a.laasW8M6T
in reply to: ian1196

If you go to the linking Tab and turn off the lead out, the tool will finish the cut and then retract straight up:

lead out.png

You also have the option of turning off "Same as Lead-in" and then you can modify the lead out paramters as you see fit.:

leady.png

Message 3 of 5
ian1196

If I am making an oring groove that is the same width as my tool, 2DContour will not spiral down , cover the bottom and spiral out at least some to avoid tool stop mark. Is that correct?

Message 4 of 5
ian1196

Here is another thought. If I need to mill cut a shape out of 1/2" plate. I use 2DContour to cut the shape by spiraling to the bottom. I lift out like you said. no problem. The cut is ugly. I offset by 0.005"  and repeat but with a faster helix to get  a clean cut. How do I get out without making a tool mark? I use spiral in/out a lot if I have a two flute tool that has two small blemishes at the same depth of cut to avoid the blemish mark by the tool.

Message 5 of 5
leo.castellon

Try using "finishing overlap" 

leocastellon_0-1689778143427.png

LeoC

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report