Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to "clean up" this machining (?)

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
traditional.builds
231 Views, 3 Replies

Best way to "clean up" this machining (?)

Hey there,

So I have been running some fairly simple operations on our CNC machine and have had lots of success, but I wanted to ask for more opinions about this one before I run it. (I will attach a screenshot and the F360 file too.)

I am making this pool bar sign for a friend and I got a little carried away with some of the detail in the sign design, so now I have to figure out the best way to machine this out of MDF. (I can use solid oak if I need to, just in case the details are too rough to cut out on MDF.)

Basically what I am asking is for someone to take a quick look at my file and see if there is a way to clean it up. Or perhaps I should be using a completely different operation (?) I created this file weeks ago when I was still learning F360 so the toolpaths are a little funky in my opinion. On parts of the operations the tool sort of jumps around the piece in a random fashion. It's a lot of back and forth across the piece. If this is the correct way to do this, let me know, but I just wanted a second set of eyes on this file before I run it on the machine.

If you have any tips on something I could change, any advice is welcome!

Labels (2)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Here is the screenshot and the Fusion 360 file. Thank you again!

Message 3 of 4

"On parts of the operations the tool sort of jumps around the piece in a random fashion. It's a lot of back and forth across the piece."

That is just how the software algorithms work, You cant try [Keep tool down] on the last linking tab and set it to most. Looks alright from the picture but I did not actually download it cause its an assembly. You were missing a couple things like the inside of the letter "o" in open but you seem like your on the right path.

Message 4 of 4

Thank you for the reply,

I will have to play around with it some more. I get what you mean, although I still am confused as to why the tool starts milling in one area, then it retracts and moves to the opposite side of the model to start milling a new area, and then jumps back to a new area, and so on. I am new to this but seems like it would be less complicated if the milling moved from one area to another smoothly instead of jumping around so much. Maybe there is a way to clean up the paths. I will keep testing until it is smooth.

Thank you

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report