Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best and neatest way to machine a top face half round radial edge on a milling machine

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
safiredesignengineers
115 Views, 4 Replies

best and neatest way to machine a top face half round radial edge on a milling machine

Hi Group

see image below marked with a red line for reference.

what would be the best and neatest way to machine a top-face half-round radial edge on a milling machine?

I either want to use an end mill, an end mill with small corner rads, or a ball nose cutter.
note due to the inner groove and sharp inner corners, i think an end mill might be best and then run a 3d path to follow the rad?
but I could follow after with a ball mill to get as far as possible without touching the groove base to smooth out any steps.

But what tool path strategy should I use, as so far I can't get what I want working..

A

edge profile.jpg

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

1) 2D Contour and Flat Endmill to machine the groove

2) Mid-sized ball endmill to rough off the radii, leaving a bit of material for..

3) Appropriate sized endmill to finish the radius, probably a Scallop or similar toolpath

3a) If it's an actual 180 radius and application allows for it, you could also use a corner rounding tool, but it's a fine line of trouble for getting a perfect blend

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 5

Hi Seth

thank you, I tried Scallop but I could not select the face.
now you said this is the way to do it, I looked deeper and I found I could select the 2 contours as chains which seems to work.
is it not possible to select the face contours for this type of machining?

A

Message 4 of 5

You can actually just select "touch faces" and not make any selection. That said, it tends to be a bit fragmented at the edges when you use that method.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 5 of 5

thankyou Seth

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums