Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back chamfer - how to?

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
scotS3G9D
702 Views, 11 Replies

Back chamfer - how to?

I found an older article about creating a form tool and how to program a simple back chamfer but it's not working.  It's not entirely clear to me if you're to use the 2d chamfer or 2d contour options.  I have my form tool set up but can't figure out what to do next.  Can someone help?  This is the article I found:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/fusion-360/learn-explore/caas/simplecontent/content/undercutt...

Thanks, Scot

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
GeorgeRoberts
in reply to: scotS3G9D

Hello

I usually use 2D contour for this. Please see the attached file as an example. If you check the expressions in stock-to-leave, you will see the formulas that are shown in the article.

Be aware, this is prone to colliding with the model, so ensure you check carefully and simulate prior to running on a machine

-

George Roberts

Manufacturing Product manager
If you'd like to provide feedback and discuss how you would like things to be in the future, Email Me and we can arrange a virtual meeting!
Message 3 of 12
scotS3G9D
in reply to: GeorgeRoberts

Thank you but I'm having trouble opening the file.  I needed to update Fusion and restart but it still won't open.  I've attached a log file.

Message 4 of 12
csl1016

Message 5 of 12
seth.madore

That's because the file was saved in a Developer build of Fusion. Since it's "from the future", it can't be opened in Production. Tsk Tsk..

So, here's the formulas you want to use in your Stock to Leave settings:

Radial:

if (abc.isNonZero()) {
      gRotationModal.reset();
      writeBlock(gRotationModal.format(68.2), "X" + xyzFormat.format(0), "Y" + xyzFormat.format(0), "Z" + xyzFormat.format(0), "I" + abcFormat.format(abc.x), "J" + abcFormat.format(abc.y), "K" + abcFormat.format(abc.z)); // set frame
      if (true) { (!isPrepositioned || !section.isMultiAxis())
        writeBlock(gFormat.format(53.1)); // turn machine if not prepositioning for a multi-axis move
      }

Axial:

-((tool_diameter-tool_tipDiameter)/2*Math.tan((90-tool_taperAngle) * Math.PI/180))+(chamferWidth*Math.tan((90-tool_taperAngle) * Math.PI/180))

So, how do you enter those? Go down to "Stock To Leave", turn it on and then click on the three-dot icon to the right. Select "Edit User Expression". This opens a new dialog box, so just copy/paste those values

2023-03-04_06h24_32.png

I'd suggest that once you have that done, then create a Template of "Back-Deburring"

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 6 of 12
scotS3G9D
in reply to: seth.madore

Goodness...I have no idea what all that means!  The radial formula says invalid expression when I try to use it.  The axial formula was okay.  When using this in 2d contour, how would you adjust the chamfer width?  I'm assuming you use 2d contour?

Message 7 of 12
scotS3G9D
in reply to: csl1016

Thank you for your video.  It's hard for me to follow but I think there's some practical info hiding within it.  Practical meaning it might be something I could comprehend but it's a bit of a language challenge.

Message 8 of 12
scotS3G9D

Hi Seth,
Can you confirm the radial offset formula is correct?  It makes no sense to me when I look at it and it's not working.

Thanks, Scot

Message 9 of 12
seth.madore

Radial:

(tool_diameter-tool_tipDiameter)/2-chamferWidth-2*(chamferTipOffset/Math.tan((90-tool_taperAngle) * Math.PI/180))

Axial:

-((tool_diameter-tool_tipDiameter)/2*Math.tan((90-tool_taperAngle) * Math.PI/180))+(chamferWidth*Math.tan((90-tool_taperAngle) * Math.PI/180))

Seth Madore
Message 10 of 12
scotS3G9D

Thanks, Seth.  I can't figure out why I don't have the option to set a chamfer width in 2d contour.  A recent update seems to have removed that ability for me.  

Message 11 of 12
seth.madore

@scotS3G9D wrote:

Thanks, Seth.  I can't figure out why I don't have the option to set a chamfer width in 2d contour.  A recent update seems to have removed that ability for me.  

You do have a Chamfer tool selected, right....?

Seth Madore
Message 12 of 12
scotS3G9D

Ah, actually no.  I made a form tool.  I tried something beforehand and it didn't work so thought I needed a special tool.  Let me try it again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums