Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

axial milling on Haas 35Y Lathe, G112 and other related problems. advice and direction please.

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
methods2
224 Views, 7 Replies

axial milling on Haas 35Y Lathe, G112 and other related problems. advice and direction please.

So straight out of my apprenticeship I was assigned to a new Haas 35Y live tool lathe and Fusion 360 with no training and limited exposure to CNC and G code.

So far I have been able to make it work and become good at making simple parts with quick turnaround

Lately the parts have started to become more complex and require more axial milling.

I am using the post process versions for the 35Y from the fusion library.

What I am finding is that the lathe uses the C axis movements and X axis movements to simulate Y axis movements even thought the lathe has Y axis. this is very slow and will not do for any kind of milling operation.

I understand this has something to do with G112 and polar mode but for the life of me I can not figure it all out.

Do I need to hire someone to modify the post to suit my needs or is anyone else already familiar with the problem i am having and can tell me how to fix my post?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
methods2
in reply to: methods2

by the way, My name is David and I am in southern Ontario.

Message 3 of 8
methods2

I think I am making progress with my limited research.

Am I correct when I say G112 uses XC movement to replicate Y movement when Y axis is not present or insufficient travel?

If I am trying to mill a axial pocket or slot, the problem seems to be whenever it crosses the center.

if the pocket is off center it uses XYZ

if the pocket crosses center it automatically translates to XC

do I need to  modify the  post to allow the XYZ to cross over center

Message 4 of 8
seth.madore

Yes, there is a field in the Post Properties for "Distance Below "X" or some such verbage. This will allow your post to deviate from the hard rule of "don't go below center for XYZ motion".

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 5 of 8
methods2
in reply to: seth.madore

OK we are on the right track
I am very new to editing post properties and have to be wary of what I change
searching for distance below has no result
does anyone else know specifically what i need to change or other suggestions for what search word to use?
Message 6 of 8
methods2

I think I might have found the section i am looking for but i do not know what to change.

Message 7 of 8
seth.madore

Oh, this doesn't get changed in the post (although it "can" be changed there). You want this:

2023-08-04_09h56_09.png

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 8 of 8
methods2
in reply to: seth.madore

Yes I see now that box is available with the unmodified post.

So I do not need to modify my current post

thank you for your help

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums