Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awful Engraving Text

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
matthew.darragh8EG6U
228 Views, 9 Replies

Awful Engraving Text

New to cnc and I’m trying to engrave text on some soft wood and the corners of the text come out weird. 
Is this because the machine is flexing? 

24k RPM

1000 mm/min
TIA

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

What if you run the .NC file twice?...What bit type/geometry?

Message 3 of 10

What looks like is happening to me is that you're just cutting a single straight pass down the middle of each line of the letters.

So the width of the lines that make up each letter is being set by the angle of your tool and how deep you're cutting. 

The deeper you cut the wider the lines get.

That engraving toolpath will raise the tool in the corners to use a narrower section of the tool. This is to achieve sharp corners. But in your case it looks bad because you're only going down the middle of the line.

Basically what's happening is the tool can get deeper into the corners whenever it raises the tool so it does. But because you haven't cleared away the material around the corners it looks like its cutting incorrect in the corners. I'm pretty sure you need to remove more material within the letters first then run that toolpath you have now after.

Maybe try a 2D pocket on the letters or something first. keep in mind that the angle of the tool and the depth you're cutting to will effect the took of the letters.

Raise the height up and you should have sharper letters. Cut deeper and the letters get fat and clunky.

Message 4 of 10

Ran twice, no difference.

60 Deg V Bit 

Message 5 of 10

What looks like is happening to me is that you're just cutting a single straight pass down the middle of each line of the letters.

Kind of. This was an engraving tool path so it does lift up in the corners.

Maybe try a 2D pocket on the letters or something first. keep in mind that the angle of the tool and the depth you're cutting to will effect the took of the letters.

Doesn't this defeat the point of the engrave tool path?

I'm going to try again with something other than fusion360 tonight and report back.

Message 6 of 10

Are you able to attach your program file as an .f3d file?

Typically thats the fastest way to get a good result on this forum

Message 7 of 10

Maybe try multiple depths. You might be getting some deflation going straight to depth.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 10

I will tonight!
Message 9 of 10

I will try tonight.

Message 10 of 10

Turns out as expected the issue is… me! 🧐

Reduced the speed of the machine

Made multiple depths 1mm 

Increased the v bit tool tip to 0.5mm

Seems to have improved drastically. 
Now to buy some decent bits! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report