Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

April 2023 - Since latest update "cylindrical face not in tool orientation" issues

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
andy.concept303
729 Views, 16 Replies

April 2023 - Since latest update "cylindrical face not in tool orientation" issues

Having a bit of a nightmare, I have a model and toolpaths that I have run previously with no problems, but seemingly since latest update this week, I'm now getting a load of issues with drilling and boring holes! 

Note I didn't produce this model, I just added holes for fixturing, hence no design history except for the fixturing holes.  To try and fix this problem I've generated a new offset plane from the origin and used this for the sketch plane, still no joy.  Only work around I can come up with is to use 'select points', rather than cylindrical face, for hole selection, but this only work for drilling, I can't use it for the boring op.

Been using Fusion for years and never come across this!

Model attached below, thanks so much for any help!

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

The holes are off angle from the plane that you've defined by a very small amount:

2023-04-05_16h14_43.png

2023-04-05_16h15_10.png

You can either select those holes to align your Z axis or turn on Tool Orientation to allow selection of them

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 17

Looking thru your timeline though, it appears that you created points on a sketch that was located on your Offset Plane, and then used those points to create hole features. It's logical that those features would be in line with your plane, but they're not. Further digging is required...

Seth Madore
Message 4 of 17

And you say that you've run this part before without issue? Or is this a new model and program that you're working on?

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 17

Thanks so much, totally understand what you're saying and yes I agree, but what I can't get my head round is what has changed.  I even found an old version of the model / tool paths which was used for machining previously, everything is fine, until I regen the tool paths, then they give this error.  Wonder if there's been a tightening up or rounding of a tolerances in latest release?  Very odd, but again thanks, I was pulling my hair out!

Message 6 of 17

Yeah I only created that offset plane to try and get round the issue, previously the sketch plane for the holes was generated on the model itself.

Message 7 of 17

I've opened up a dialog with someone from the Model side of things to see if something changed. Next step is to find someone in the "Drilling" section and run it by them

Seth Madore
Message 8 of 17

Many thanks Seth!

Message 9 of 17

@andy.concept303 wrote:

I even found an old version of the model / tool paths which was used for machining previously, everything is fine, until I regen the tool paths, then they give this error. 

Could you open up that old version with valid toolpaths and export that out as an .f3d? Don't regenerate the toolpaths, just open and export and share here. I'd like to see the behavior on an older version of Fusion (I keep a laptop un-updated as long as possible for situations like this)

Seth Madore
Message 10 of 17

No problem, will do tonight when I get home. 

Message 11 of 17

Here you go Seth, let me know what you find, thanks.

Message 12 of 17

Ah, but they aren't the same. In this part, you have your WCS aligned to your top face, not that offset plane. Toolpaths regenerate just fine:

2023-04-06_16h15_01.png

Moreover, when I go to the file that you first shared and reset the WCS to the top face, all the toolpaths now work. There's something about that plane.....

Seth Madore
Message 13 of 17

Well, this is all very strange....

Yes, I used that offset plane as my initial workaround, as the top face of the model was what seemed to be giving me all the issues.

I have also just swapped back to this model top face for the Z ref and everything regens OK!  Go figure....

Sorry to have wasted your time Seth, really appreciate your help.

Message 14 of 17

Actually, I don't think you wasted my time, as the plane should have worked. Even if it hadn't, the WCS set to the plane along with Tool Orientation should have certainly worked. We're going to continue looking at the issue and determine the root cause and (hopefully, eventually) fix it

Seth Madore
Message 15 of 17
arcapaldo
in reply to: seth.madore

Hello,

after today's update (05/06/2023) i solved the issue 

Thanks

Message 16 of 17
seth.madore
in reply to: arcapaldo

Yep, this issue should now be fixed with the latest update. Do let us know if you encounter this bug again!

Seth Madore
Message 17 of 17
franktpw
in reply to: seth.madore

I'm having a similar issue using HSMWorks Ultimate 2024 within Solidworks. Had never seen this issue before, but upgraded from HSMWorks 2023 to HSMWorks 2024 today and I can't pick the cylindrical holes and get the message:

"cylindrical surface can be drilled only with opposite tool orientation"

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums