Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any way to get these undercuts to work?

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
FrodoLoggins
216 Views, 9 Replies

Any way to get these undercuts to work?

All toolpaths throw "Invalid stock to leave" errors:Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 9.59.23 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 9.59.49 AM.png

I'm assuming it's because my radius mill has a little hat?:

Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 9.59.56 AM.png

Becuase I don't have any stock to leave set:

Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 9.59.44 AM.png

- Time Magazine’s Person of the Year 2006
- Apple M1 Max rMBP A2485 // Latest MacOS // Latest Fusion
- Usually working off files uploaded to Fusion as: Step, STL, SLDPRT. If it matters ask me.
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

remove the tophat bug (it's been reported) and use 2D contour if those walls are straight, 3D contour if not. 

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!
Message 3 of 10

Removing top hat didn't work, 3D contour worked.

Blend/Flow support undercuts, no?

- Usually working off files uploaded to Fusion as: Step, STL, SLDPRT. If it matters ask me.
Message 4 of 10
seth.madore
in reply to: FrodoLoggins

While the top-hat on the tool sounds like a likely contributor, it's more likely that Flow doesn't support undercut features. I know that new Blend toolpath (still in the Insider) can do this, but I'm not 100% certain it supports full rad key cutters.

I'd use 3D Contour or Steep And Shallow:

2024-01-19_10h17_03.png

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 5 of 10
seth.madore
in reply to: FrodoLoggins

Some testing indicates that Slot or Dovetail tools are not supported with undercuts and Blend, but I also have some separate notes that indicate they are. I've sent a message out to one of the developers to see what the deal is..

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 6 of 10
FrodoLoggins
in reply to: seth.madore

Can't remember if I tried flow or blend a few minutes ago on the bottom blue faces but the undercuts worked. Non insider version of Fusiino:

Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 10.55.21 AM.png

BUT I'm going with my original plan with soft jaws. So I made my own undercut end mill (not the one from Harvey's library) that had a .078" diameter shank (not a .1875" diameter shank that necks down to a .078" shank) and it didn't have a hat and it did what I wanted it to with 3d contour. Great. THEN I edited the tool to increase the diameter of the shank but neck it. And now I get this error:

Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 10.54.24 AM.png

I'm all set on this for now I think.

Message 7 of 10

Hi @FrodoLoggins,

Thanks for feedback. Flow/Blend support only lollipop tools in 3-axis for machining undercuts (Contour supports T-slot tools). You should start getting proper warning (non "Invalid stock to leave") soon. It's a known limitation and we have ticket CAM-48588 to fix it.

Oleg Tikhomirov
Software Engineer
Message 8 of 10

Any chance you have a link to my private message inbox? An employee sent me a message but despite being logged in it's a little hard to respond to it. Same on Chrome and Safari:

Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 8.19.16 AM.png

I'm assuming now that both of these operations are out of beta it shouldn't be too long for a fix?

Lollipops are supported, full rad keyseat mills like the one from my OP will be supported, I'm assuming keyseat mills with smaller radii like these will be supported as well?

EDIT: Wait there are plans to support full rad keyseat cutters or no plans?

Message 9 of 10

Hi @FrodoLoggins 

I'm sorry but I don't have adminstrative rights on the forum so I can help you with the link.

Yes. The end goal to support full radius, small radius or no radius T-slot mills but I can't give you any promisses or time estimations.

Oleg Tikhomirov
Software Engineer
Message 10 of 10

click on sign in, re-enter your details, and it will probably STILL say Sign in. Click it ONCE more, and it will update the taskbar without refreshing the page. That bug has been around for a while. You can also click on "Forums" despite it not being tagged as a link (mouse cursor does not change to a hand)

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report