Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Angled Guitar Headstock CAM Help

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
evanDXG2P
82 Views, 4 Replies

Angled Guitar Headstock CAM Help

This guitar neck is going to be cut from a two inch piece of maple or ash. The reason is that I don't want to use scarf joints and set up a jig and I want a flowing grain. The headstock (portion where the holes are) is at a 10 degree angle. This causes a small portion of the sides and volute area to only be accessible from one side so I can't do a straight 2d contour. I thought that I would be able to manage this using 3d contouring but I am still seeing unmilled stock on the sides of the headstock despite 3d contouring on both sides.

I need help. Please advise. 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
seth.madore
in reply to: evanDXG2P

Which toolpath/setup and which area of the part?

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 5
seth.madore
in reply to: evanDXG2P

If you're referring to the sides of the headstock in the image below, that's because you need to go with:

1) A ball endmill preferably

2) Finer stepdowns.

2024-01-03_14h18_49.png

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 4 of 5
evanDXG2P
in reply to: seth.madore

evanDXG2P_0-1704309593530.png

evanDXG2P_1-1704309623192.png

It's CAM setup's 3 and 4 (this requires a flip mill). 

Message 5 of 5

I would not recommend using only Ash as a neck wood. The grain is much too course and there's a reason no one does it commercially. Also consider the balance and center of gravity regarding neck dive.

You will never be able to completely get your model machined without some sort of undercutting surfacing tool. Surface whatever you can using 8% stepover after roughing it out with 1-6mm of stock to leave. 

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report