Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Almost There - Soft Jaw Question

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
richardsalzman
305 Views, 8 Replies

Almost There - Soft Jaw Question

Two quick questions.  I finished the CAM for this soft jaw but got stuck at the end.  I was trying to move the original part into the cavity of the soft jaw so I could create the tool paths to finish the back side.  I tried using the joint command but was unable to pick a position between the faces of the soft jaws for the joint origin?  Any suggestions as to how to make this work?

Here the Fusion file:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/5m1sloxbx71a1s1/Titan%209M%20Softjaw%20II%20v20.f3z?dl=0

Lastly, the 2d contour tool path leaves a bit of unfinished material (see circled area in the attached image).  I tried experimenting with the lead out distance etc. but could not get it to machine off this material.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks... Richard

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Give this a try:

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 9

Thanks so much.  I spent over an hour trying to figure this out.  You really made my day!

Thanks... Richard

Message 4 of 9

Oops.  I think there is a problem.  When I ran the simulation, I notice that the tool path appears shifted in the positive Y and negative X direction.  See red areas on attached.

Message 5 of 9

Where are you setting your WCS for your jaw; on the part that's going to be held? That's a "no-no", the jaws should have their own origin. Typically, I use center of X/Y

-EDIT- applying a joint should not have changed anything for your jaw program. Double check your steps 🙂

Seth Madore
Message 6 of 9

So sorry to bother you Seth.  The jaws do have their own WCS.  I think the problem is that I created a shape (Plug) to create the cavity of the soft jaws.  This plug has the same profile as the part that I will be holding in the soft jaws (just simpler geometry).  I believe the problem has something to do with the way the plug and the actual part are located between the soft jaws.  Take V attached shows the Plug and the actual part.

Prior to you sharing your nice video on applying the joint, I manually moved the plug to the appropriate position between the soft jaws, then used the combine function to create the soft jaws.  I then manually moved the part into the soft jaws.  When I simulated the tool paths, everything looked good.  See Version II attached.

In both scenarios (where I manually positioned the parts and when I applied the joint), the WCS is exactly the same.  I am struggling to place the plug and part in correct position.  When I applied the joint as opposed to manual positioning... the tool path was no longer correct.

Thanks for your patience.... Richard

Message 7 of 9

OK.  I solved most of the problem.  In the heights tab, the bottom height was not identified consistently.  I fixed this and the simulation looks almost perfect now.  I don't understand how the incorrect height value made the simulation look like the tool path had been offset a bit (considering that the part has parallel sides), but it certainly solved the problem.

One last question.  In attached image there are a few areas that are not machined by the last 2D contour tool path.  The tool path does not extend far enough.  I tried to extend the lead out parameters but no luck.  Is there a way to extend the tool path in these areas?

Thanks... Richard.

Message 8 of 9

Could you share your most recent file here?

Seth Madore
Message 9 of 9

Here is the most recent file.  I am still dumfounded as to how correcting the heights in the tool path heights tab fixed what appeared to be a lateral shift of the tool path.  Some of the heights were referenced as a hard number and others as "selection".  I used "selection" for all three tool paths, and it solved the previous problem.

Fusion File:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/k5gteow2swcnqch/Titan%209M%20Softjaw%20III%20v3.f3z?dl=0

Thanks for your time.

Richard

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report