Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on best machining strategy for large radius

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
ashes.man
142 Views, 2 Replies

Advice on best machining strategy for large radius

I am a little stuck trying to work out the best tool to use and machining strategy for the radius/fillet in the picture below.  I am after advice on how to get the best surface finish.  I have a few options on ball nose tools from around 6 to 20mm diameter.

Part is 6061 aluminum on a small 3 axis machine.

ashesman_0-1692352332254.png

I got as far as roughing it out:

ashesman_1-1692352394076.png

File attached if it helps.  Mostly I am just after advice on tool selection, feeds, speeds, stepovers etc.  And most appropriate tool path option.

I tried a few of the 3D tool paths but not sure which one would give the best result in practice.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
seth.madore
in reply to: ashes.man

Here's a Flow(Preview) option:

2023-08-18_06h29_07.png

And here's a Blend option:

2023-08-18_06h30_20.png

These are quick examples, it's likely that better toolpaths can be obtained.

As for speeds and feeds, I tend to run a .375" ball endmill to the max rpm of my Mori (12k) and a feedrate of about .001" chip per tooth.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 3
ashes.man
in reply to: seth.madore

Thanks for the suggestions. I will have a play with those tool path options. My Mazak is flat out at 6000 RPM so have to choose a stepover that doesn't take all week to run but leaves a good finish. In the past I havent had much luck with this sort of profiling. I think it is due to tool rubbing or maybe just need a sharper tool!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report