Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding relief to cutter geometry

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
198 Views, 2 Replies

Adding relief to cutter geometry

What's the best way to include relief in tools when creating them in the tool library? I fudge with the length below holder, the shoulder length and the shaft diameter to get it to look somewhat how I want it, but if there's a better way, I'm all ears. I'm adding some extra features to the "writetools" property in the post processor and it'd be nice to have a line that describes if a tool needs to be relieved and how long that relief should be.  Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
CuttingEdgeManufacturing
in reply to: Anonymous

this is how i set my relieved tools up i get from Helical. sounds about the same as what you do, i dont have any issues doing it this way at all.

Screenshot (105).png

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous

Thanks! Yeah I think I'll just proceed with this method, it's relatively easy to setup on the post too.

Here's what I'm using right now:

// dump tool information
  if (getProperty("writeTools")) {
var twodecFormat = createFormat({decimals:2});

if (tool.getShaftDiameter != tool.diameter()) {
          comment += " - " + "RL=" + twodecFormat.format(tool.getShoulderLength());
        }

twodecFormat is just a custom format to display only two decimal places, I use it for anything where I only want two decimal places. Hopefully someone else finds this useful

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report