Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adaptive clearing - setting "small stock to leave" makes holder collide with stock

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
r.moss
86 Views, 1 Reply

Adaptive clearing - setting "small stock to leave" makes holder collide with stock

I am profiling the end of a tube using a 12mm ball-nose cutter and adaptive clearing.   This is to make parts that match for welding, so a perfect finish is not essential. 

Model.JPG

The stock has the central hole machined already, so only the highlighted face needs to be milled.  I have selected this face in the adaptive setup.  The "include setup model" is disabled (but does not influence the problem, as far as I can see).

If I set "Stock to leave" at 0.01mm, or disable it, the toolpath makes the tool dive inside the end of the tube until the holder hits the top edge.  I cannot see why it wants to do this.

collision.JPG

Setting 0.5 mm Stock to leave avoids the diving inside behaviour:

No collision.JPG

stock to leave.JPG

If I leave 0.5 mm stock I will need a finishing operation to bring it to size - seems unnecessary, given that the adaptive finish is so good (on a mild steel trial piece - final items will be stainless).

Is this a bug?

The file is here: https://a360.co/3hueqtC 

Thanks

Roger

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
seth.madore
in reply to: r.moss

With Stock to Leave set to .01, it's going to get to deeper areas than the .05 value.

A better method would be to define boundaries:

Snag_130faca7.png

 This has the benefit of better constraint and reduced cycle times as well

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report