Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adaptive 3D colliding with fixture

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
jandyman
260 Views, 10 Replies

Adaptive 3D colliding with fixture

I previously was encountering issues with tool paths diving into stock and breaking a bit:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-manufacture/unexpected-rapids-into-stock-just-broke-a-bit/...

As a result of that, I discovered how to use Stock Contours. But that wants to machine away all the stock and I want to use the ends of the stock to clamp the part down. So first I used a custom stock contour for the area I wanted to machine. But that just pretends the stock outside the boundary doesn't exist and dives into that. So I thought "fine, this is what fixtures are for", and broke up the stock definition into sections, defining the end sections as a fixture.

But now the toolpath shows errors in simulation "toolpath collides with fixture"!! I thought the whole idea of fixtures was to avoid them.

What I want is to be able to define areas of stock that are not to be touched, while not having the CAM assume that there is no stock.

Help!   I've attached the model with all toolpaths removed except the one giving me trouble.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
matty.fuller
in reply to: jandyman

Fixture avoidance is not yet a feature. It will identify collisions but not prevent them. You need to use other methods of toolpath constraint (primarily Boundaries) to avoid the fixture.

If you do a forum search for "fixture" you will find many discussions on the topic.
Message 3 of 11
a.laasW8M6T

Like Matty says, the fixture selection currently only will check for collisions in Simulation, not avoid in toolpaths.

Have a look at this short video on how to get a result I think you are looking for.

Message 4 of 11
seth.madore

As the two responders above me have pointed out, this isn't something that's yet automated by Fusion. But, it IS something we're quite keen on solving for and I think many users will be quite pleased with our solution (when it gets released)

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 5 of 11
jandyman
in reply to: a.laasW8M6T

@a.laasW8M6T wrote:

Like Matty says, the fixture selection currently only will check for collisions in Simulation, not avoid in toolpaths.

Have a look at this short video on how to get a result I think you are looking for.

That's great, thanks a lot. I had actually got most of the way there in my head last night as I thought about it, so it's good to realize I was on the right track.

One thing still mystifies me. I could swear that I used fixtures before to avoid a solid, after finding YouTube videos on the subject. In that situation I was using it as a technique to create unconventional "tabs", I built a solid to represent the tab and then used fixtures. So now I don't know how that ever worked. I was likely not using an adaptive 3D path, so that might be part of it. Who knows, maybe I misunderstood what was going on.

Message 6 of 11
seth.madore

There is a technique to include models in your Setup, but select different models in your actual toolpath. This will force the toolpath to calculate against a set of surfaces that are different than your Setup.

Seth Madore
Message 7 of 11
dgoller2RNYJ
in reply to: seth.madore

Would you dare put a coarse guesstimate on the when it will be released?

Or a rough completion percentage.

Anything from "Way have the concept drawn out" over "80% there" to "It's complete and it is in internal testing phase"?

Something non-binding that does give us an idea?

Best Regards,

Daniel

Message 8 of 11
seth.madore
in reply to: dgoller2RNYJ

Corporate policy seriously frowns upon anything beyond a vague/ambiguous suggestion, so...

I've tested this "fixture avoidance" technology, it's decently developed and certainly on the positive side of development.

Beyond that, sorry, I love my job too much to jeopardize it 😄 

Seth Madore
Message 9 of 11
dgoller2RNYJ

I can respect that, thank you very much for the impossible to be held to non-information.

Now i need to go find the open posts about using form tools on more than just 2D contours and add a +1 there.

Message 10 of 11
seth.madore
in reply to: dgoller2RNYJ

@dgoller2RNYJ wrote:

Now I need to go find the open posts about using form tools on more than just 2D contours and add a +1 there.

Care to expand on your needs in this area?

Seth Madore
Message 11 of 11
jandyman

@seth.madore wrote:

There is a technique to include models in your Setup, but select different models in your actual toolpath. This will force the toolpath to calculate against a set of surfaces that are different than your Setup.

Indeed, that is undoubtedly what I did. I went back and found this good video, which talks about that and other good stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRlttHFMUAo

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report