Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ability to reorder operations during post

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
danS8JRH
182 Views, 7 Replies

Ability to reorder operations during post

Is there a way to reorder operation when posting NC code?

I have a 4 fixture tombstone in our 5 axis machine. I generally select to "order by tool" in the setup dialog to minimize tool changes. And then when planning the program, the tree is sorted in proper order to make a good part. This results in a lot of B & C axis unnecessary movement. As an example, I might spot holes on 4 different faces. Let say B0 C-90, B0 C0, B0 C90, and B90,C0. When I make 4 parts, those axis spin like crazy to do it. So i post my program and then manually shuffle the code to get a better flow.

Long story short, is there a better way? Attached is a screen capture of the operations tab when posting. Could this be drag and drop like the CAM tree is? It would save me a tremendous about of very tedious work.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
seth.madore
in reply to: danS8JRH

This has long been a frustration of mine, as I process stuff frequently on my 4th axis VMC. Short answer, you're going to end up with your toolpaths programmed individually, in the order you want them to go. This may involved multiple Setups and/or Folders...

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 8
Don.Cyr

The ability to drag and drop operations would be amazing and something that has been brought up several times. One of the reasons I miss having FeatureCam. I usually end up dragging and dropping operations in my G-code editor for our production parts to save time.

Please click "Accept Solution" if I helped with your question or issue.
Message 4 of 8
seth.madore

@Don.Cyr what G-code editor do you use for this process?

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 5 of 8
Don.Cyr

@seth.madore We use Cimco Editor.. Just to explain what I mean by "drag and drop", I actually cut and paste sections of the G-code from Fusion. I guess my brain was stuck on wishing we could do this in Fusion before posting and used the wrong terminology 😉

Message 6 of 8
danS8JRH
in reply to: Don.Cyr

I do this same thing inside of the editor that Fusion uses to view posted code. I think it is visual studio. I always make sure I have the "safe start" option selected in my post. Then just cut and paste the code by hand to get the order more efficient. I know you understand how tedious this is. It is also a brutal waste of time because I have to check it over very carefully or stand at the machine and do nothing to ensure retracts and positional moves are correct.

Message 7 of 8
Don.Cyr

Tere have been several posts about the ability to do this in Fusion and I even spoke in length over a zoom call with one of the Fusion team and the main reason we actually may never see this as they see this functionality as being "dangerous" as users for example could potentially move the tap before the drill, etc.. It would save me so much time if this was available to us.. 

Message 8 of 8
programming2C78B
in reply to: Don.Cyr

As opposed to now, where you can still tap a non-drilled hole and won't see a red mark in simulation nor any warning? 

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report