Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 axis toolpath problem

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
tobiboHYXWC
466 Views, 11 Replies

5 axis toolpath problem

Hello.
After the update in April, the trajectory in Flow 5 axes mode has changed. I'll give you an example before and after. The problem is that the new trajectory calculation is very bad. Help solve this problem.

p1.jpg

The picture shows absolutely identical parameters and conditions. This happened as soon as the update arrived.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
seth.madore
in reply to: tobiboHYXWC

Please share your file here

File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d file in your reply

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 12
tobiboHYXWC

File attached. Do not judge strictly for the chaos in the project. This is my draft.

Message 4 of 12
tobiboHYXWC

Here is the file before the update.

Generate this trajectory and it becomes bad.

Message 5 of 12
seth.madore

So I just had a chat with one of the developers. Yes, they change some of the algorithm, as the old flow toolpath would actually gouge in some cases. What you're seeing is expected results (as distasteful as they may appear). That said, we now have a better toolpath, it's called "Flow(Preview)". This is turned on in your Preferences:

2023-04-20_08h51_49.png

This toolpath has a lot of benefits to it, such as the ability to specify stepovers, automatically align to the U/V axis and other improvements. Using that toolpath, this is my result on your part:

2023-04-20_08h53_33.png

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 6 of 12
tobiboHYXWC
in reply to: seth.madore

It's just wonderful.
I was overwhelmed and I was going to use third party software.

Thank you very much for solving the problem and promptness.

Message 7 of 12
tobiboHYXWC

A new problem has appeared. I can't get the cutter to go in the opposite direction. Wherever I put the preferred entry point, it still goes from top to bottom. For the processing of my part, this makes a huge difference. Before the update, Flow changed direction from bottom to top when choosing a preferred entry point.

before.jpg

after.jpg

Message 8 of 12

Hi @tobiboHYXWC,

Thanks for feedback. We're aware about this issue in Flow (Preview). Unfortunatelly it's not possible to control this direction at current moment. I can suggest 2 options to solve the problem.

1) Use old Flow but change tolerance using "Compare and Edit". It helps to avoid spikes in toolpath and improve quality in general but might work slower.

olegtikhomirov_0-1682322857258.png

olegtikhomirov_1-1682322911174.png

olegtikhomirov_5-1682323414537.png

2) Use Blend strategy. You should enabled it Preview as @seth.madore showed above for Flow. Direction of cutting path is controlled by first selected Drive Curve so just select one at the bottom.

olegtikhomirov_3-1682323228990.png

olegtikhomirov_2-1682323208693.png

olegtikhomirov_4-1682323256144.png

Oleg Tikhomirov
Software Engineer
Message 9 of 12

Please send a file with these tools. I want to see the rest of the trajectory settings. I can't get it to look like the picture.

In the first option, it is not possible to align the trajectory.
In the second option, it is not possible to make the cutter move in both forward and reverse directions.

blend.jpg

 I think I'm not setting the trajectory correctly.

Message 10 of 12

Hi @tobiboHYXWC,

I think I disabled "Use Multi-Axis" option in Blend yesterday. 

Please look at the attached file.

1) Flow 5-axis is best that I achieved by reducing tolerance. Still some spikes at bottom paths so they are trimmed by Bottom Height.

2) Blend 5-axis. I have the same result as you and it looks like a bug (not making both ways). I'll report the issue.

3) Flow 3-axis. No spikes. Just disabled "Use Multi-Axis".

4) Blend 3-axis. Disabled "Use Multi-Axis". I think I generated this toolpath yesterday.

Oleg Tikhomirov
Software Engineer
Message 11 of 12

CAM-44785. Issue in "both ways" Blend with enabled "Use Multi-Axis"

Oleg Tikhomirov
Software Engineer
Message 12 of 12

CAM-44870. Spikes in Flow toolpath after update

Oleg Tikhomirov
Software Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums