Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4th Axis Rotary Adaptive Clearing - Feature Suggestion

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
mart.hough
428 Views, 4 Replies

4th Axis Rotary Adaptive Clearing - Feature Suggestion

Hi,

Originally I was going to suggest a step depth feature for the 4th axis rotary technique - which would be great!

But perhaps even more powerful strategy would be rotary adaptive clearing. I am watching this space and simulating the machining of custom mold cores for prosthetic limbs. At the moment its too limited and too expensive. There isn't value for me - yet.

My parts have deep sections and shallow sections within the same part with reference to the initial stock. The stock may start as cylindrical or square. A very aggressive roughing strategy is required first off before semi finish the fine finish.

How this guy is creating his CAM - he doesn't say. But its what I'm looking for!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAPMt1io_bw

Labels (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
fr33l0ad3r
in reply to: mart.hough

Rotary table that can handle roughing metals starts at 10k for 5 inch flange. Also you will put extra axial force on cutter, unless offsetting it from the center and that's Powermill territory already

Message 3 of 5
Steinwerks
in reply to: mart.hough

You can actually use the Rotary toolpath for this style of roughing. You can see the first pass in that video is a full slot.

HulkRotary.gif

This isn't to say that a 4th-axis Adaptive isn't valuable, but that your example is doable now. An Adaptive with that configuration is a difficult toolpath to build so no idea if that's on the roadmap or not.

Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 4 of 5
brahmantyabian
in reply to: Steinwerks

Can i use Fusion 360 for CAM programming of your CNC machine with a rotary axis if you wanted to gradually reduce the amount of  stock material being cut to model that i want on a rotary function?

Message 5 of 5

Rotary doesn't have a concept of "Stock", so any "Stock to Leave" is just going to result in a fair bit of wasted cutting motion. You're typically better off indexing to a position, locking the rotary axis and doing a 3D Adaptive on a few sides of the part.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report