Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4th Axis along the Y Axis

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
boyd.sofield
132 Views, 2 Replies

4th Axis along the Y Axis

Ive just picked up a cheap 4th axis to put on my router. Its a large bed router with only 240mm of Z clearance under my gantry. So, the best way to install the 4th axis is not on the X direction but on the Y as the gantry cannot pass over the top of the axis assembly. The workpiece I have enough clearance.

I have only just started. It appears to me I only need to make sure my WCS is set correctly and it will be fine? Please let me know if I am wrong. It will take a bit of work to install is all. Rather find out now. Thanks a bunch.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
seth.madore
in reply to: boyd.sofield

Yes, you can configure a post processor to have a 4th axis along the Y axis. You will need to modify your post, give THIS article a read

If your gantry can't clear the 4th axis, are you planning on modifying where it mounts to allow for clearance?

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 3
boyd.sofield
in reply to: seth.madore

Hi. Hey thanks for the reply. Ok I did read about my post needing to be altered. If I point my chuck in the Y direction, my gantry is high enough to clear the chuck, but not the body of the 4th axis. 

To answer your question, yes, one day I will be able to install it in the X direction. I bought some HG30 rails to replace the last SBR30 round linear rails on the Y gantry. So I need to make a couple of blocks to raise the gantry and will also be upgrading the rails. but that is in the future. For now, I will run it in the Y direction so thanks for that. Very much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums