Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 Axis Toolpath Worked Before - Toolpath now fails to execute on HAAS with NGC

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
kepp.andrews
249 Views, 11 Replies

4 Axis Toolpath Worked Before - Toolpath now fails to execute on HAAS with NGC

Forum Administrator - This was posted to both support and manufacturing. Please delete from incorrect forum.

I previously used 4th axis rotary toolpaths and it works great. Today I tried to use a very simple rotary toolpath that cuts in either spiral or circular mode, but it is failing.

In The Fusion 360 Workspace:
- The simulation looks good and correct.
- The .NC file is written with no errors or warnings.
- In Post Properties, Optional Stop is not checked.

At The HAAS Mill:
- X & Y coordinates are read and the movements are correct.
- Z axis moves down to the part and then stops above the part before beginning the cutting toolpath.
- The rotary turns.
- The spindle turns.
- The actual cutting toolpath fails to start. The spindle stops above the part.
- There is no alarm.

My errors with Fusion 360 have mostly been self-inflicted. I expect this to be the same, but any guidance is much appreciated.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
seth.madore
in reply to: kepp.andrews

Please share your Fusion file here.

File >Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d file in your reply

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 12
kepp.andrews
in reply to: seth.madore

Uploaded

Message 4 of 12
kepp.andrews

More info to follow

Message 5 of 12
kepp.andrews

The toolpath is very simple. It just moves along the length of a rod that is rotating on the X axis. Once the Y and Z coordinates are reached the only real movement is along the X axis. This is how my post looks. Z and Y axes moves are very minimal and at start of program. Just not sure why now, the Z axis is stopping above the part instead of engaging and moving along the X axis.

To be clear I'm reducing a .375 diameter rod by .0015 which gives me a finished diameter of .372 rod. Doing this exact same thing previously gave me an acceptable finish with less time sanding or buffing.

Files attached.

Message 6 of 12
kepp.andrews

Model pics attached.

Message 7 of 12
kepp.andrews

Video of machine and NGC running code.

Message 8 of 12
seth.madore

And you're certain that the tool is touched off correctly? Have you verified that the WCS at the machine is correct?

Seth Madore
Message 9 of 12
seth.madore

Because I watched the code running in your video, and the code is sending it to Z.1859, which is where it should be..

Seth Madore
Message 10 of 12
kepp.andrews

Seth I spent hours yesterday getting my cheap Chinese tailstock centered to <.001.

Does anyone make a 10" or 12" tailstock that moves ONLY in Z and is unable to tilt in X? I'll buy it if anyone knows of one.

While setting the tailstock, I indicated the probe and then calibrated it. Perhaps somewhere in hours long endeavor of centering the axis of my tailstock, I didn't re-check Z height. I know X and Y are good because it ran the first operation perfecto. Dunno, but I'm about to go and confirm. I suspect it will be something like this... Like I said, I've ran similar toolpaths like this numerous times before and all was bueno.

I'm going to be a bit embarrassed if this turn out to be another stupid-user-trick.

Message 11 of 12
seth.madore

Why do you want one that adjusts in the Z axis? That seems like a recipe for frustration...

For the rotary on my Mori, I've got a tailstock that only adjusts in and out (the screw on the tailstock to advance the quill). It bolts directly to my table, locating with a couple of keys. Most times it's just perfect the way it is. Every now and again, I'll take the front key out to get me that perfect "dead-nuts" accuracy a job may need. It's a 160mm center height, I think the tailstock was about $2.5k or so. If my rotary was on a riser, I'd just make a riser for the tailstock as well, rather than monkeying around with a Z adjustable unit.

Seth Madore
Message 12 of 12
kepp.andrews

Stupid-User-Tricks

I haven't ran this setup in several months. Forgot to add back the radius after Z height probing.
I'll buy the book and try to stop asking stupid questions.

Machining.For.Dummies.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report