Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Sketch Boundary for machining

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
b.tarek
119 Views, 4 Replies

3D Sketch Boundary for machining

Hi, is there a way that I can use a 3D sketch as my boundary in Fusion and have the toolpath be confined to it in all axes (X,Y,Z) like using the boundaries in PowerMill as shown below.

d21e3701-ad2f-4249-a7c4-7f29674bf8be.jpg

9289a7c2-021b-44c5-8bbc-17e53829a3a7.jpg

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
seth.madore
in reply to: b.tarek

Using any sketch as a boundary only gives you a flat (2D) boundary to constrain the toolpath. What exactly are you trying to limit of accomplish, as I've not seen this asked before 🤔

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 5
b.tarek

I am trying to limit the toolpath to the one side of the part as I'll flip it and work on the other side separately so I don't want to machine the bottom side and I don't want it dipping into certain spots to try to machine it.

It's also not obvious in the attached photo but the part is actually a .stl file so selecting faces to avoid will take a very long time as it has a lot of faces and reducing the number of faces using the mesh tools messed up the dimensions of the part and converting it to a solid also didn't work.

You'll find the stl file attached

Message 4 of 5
seth.madore

In the file you shared, it's not clear what or where you're trying to avoid. My first instinct is to suggest that Fusion is not the best solution for a part such as this, only because it's an .STL file. While Fusion is capable of creating code on .stl files, there's certainly a lack of flexibility and control over the results.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 5 of 5
b.tarek
in reply to: seth.madore

Thank you so much, I have noticed that Fusion does work slightly better with solids so I'll just try to work around that using the 2D boundary.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report