Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Scallop getting "Internal CAM error"

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
lens42
157 Views, 4 Replies

3D Scallop getting "Internal CAM error"

I'm trying to do a scallop cleanup op of a domed surface and I can't get a toolpath to generate. The roughing spiral CAM for the dome generates with no problem. I've looked at forums and YT with no luck. I suspect I am doing something wrong as this is the first 3D curved part I've attempted. What might be related is that I can't even seem to see in the geometry tab where I select the surface I want to cut, though in the videos I've watched a surface never seems to be selected, but a toolpath is still generated (in the tutorial videos, not for me) File attached. Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
seth.madore
in reply to: lens42

Hmm, it does appear that Scallop does not like that surface one bit.

However, you may be able to find a suitable solution in Morph:

2023-03-11_03h55_04.png

I've attached the file and will get the Scallop issue logged as a bug

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 5
seth.madore

I think I may have found the "Why". It might have to do with your tool size. If I drop the 4th and 5th place decimal of the tool (.15625) down to .156", we get a toolpath. If I use a .187 or .375 Ball endmill, I get a toolpath.

If I go back to a math function of "5/32", it returns .15625 and fails. If I manually type in .1562, it succeeds:

2023-03-11_04h09_06.png

Seth Madore
Message 4 of 5
seth.madore

And it looks like this is covered in CAM-33813 already. It looks like the kernel is having some rounding issues between cutter diameter and tool radius value

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 5
lens42

Thanks so much.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report