Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Pocket - Tool path not as expected

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
MetalRipper_
197 Views, 5 Replies

3D Pocket - Tool path not as expected

Hi folks

For the following part - in second setup, I'm trying to rough out rest stock using 3D Pocket tool-path with "plunge outside the stock" option. But tool doesn't go to the selected bottom instead it stops at -6mm. If i use "Helix" or "Zig-zag" tool reaches till selected bottom but when I use "Plunge outside stock" option, it don't travel as I expected. Kindly assist in resolving this problem.

gokul1078_1-1680607920950.png

Thanks.

Gokul Kannan
Making Parts at MetalRipper using Fusion 360
Youtube.com/@metalripper-
CNCexpert.com/gokul-kannan
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

EDIT. After running the simulation this is not a very good toolpath as it is not using the stock from the previous setup and machining lots of air. Not sure if this is a limitation for Fusion.

If I set rest to from previous setup I think it works?

HughesTooling_0-1680620168710.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 6

Also in your first pocket in setup1, is there a reason you don't have the boundary set to none so it machines from the outside rather than pocketing? I've attached your file. Double check everything because I did experiment a bit before coming up with this.

HughesTooling_0-1680620282291.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 6

Seems like you can workaround this if you just duplicate the pocket op in the second setup and just generate. So just use 2 pocket ops with the same settings and rest from previous operations. I've attached the file.

HughesTooling_0-1680622242117.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 5 of 6

Hi @HughesTooling 

Thank you for your reply.

This method works but the rest machining stock is kept from setup stock hence some non-cutting toolpaths are present. I've played with the settings and found a way to avoid this. There seems to be some complications with stock contours and rest machining materials.

gokul1078_0-1680623356471.png

Thanks for the second suggestion, I failed to notice it earlier and changing it to "Plunge outside the stock" drastically reduced the run time by 50%.

Gokul Kannan
Message 6 of 6

Hi sir

You might see the same thing I've repeated again. I was keeping your old reply open and was parallel working on Fusion and typing the reply. By mere coincidence, we've reached the same conclusion.

And thank you again for taking time to reconsider and solving my problem.
Gokul Kannan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report