Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3d parallel settings in manufacturing. Finding the correct settings

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
litodrums
218 Views, 5 Replies

3d parallel settings in manufacturing. Finding the correct settings

Hello I've been at this for a while. I always spend as much time as I can before I post. So I'm machining a wooden part and I have  two areas of the part that I have applied a 3d parallel machine setting to. The parts names are Parallel Thin edge 1 and 2.  My issue is setting the machine settings so I get a clean right angle cut. As you can see the settings are leaving material in the right angle corner. I want to remove that. It is a small issue but it's importing to the overall part.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thank you

File attached for review.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
HughesTooling
in reply to: litodrums

You get this problem when the stepover doesn't fit exactly to the face. If you create a boundary sketch and use Tool Inside it should do what you want. I've attached the file and leave it up to you to set the width, just edit the sketch and add a dimension. I needed to reverse the second toolpath so it starts on the edge. If you want to start from the outside you'll need to calculate the width of the sketch rectangles so the diameter of the cutter plus the stepover fit. So something like 20xstepover + 1/8. I got a warning when I saved the file that your version of Fusion needs updating.

Clipboard01.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
HughesTooling

Here's another version of the file where I've setup parameters to calculate the with of the boundary rectangles. Also reversed the toolpaths so they start from the outside.

Clipboard01.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 6
HughesTooling

Some advice on your design. If you are using Move you're probably doing something wrong! if you have 6 moves for a simple part you are definitely doing it wrong. Why create this sketch at a random place then move? Far butter to crete it in the correct place then extrude cut finished, then mirror the cut to the other end. You only needed one sketch an extrude, then extrude cut and mirror for the finished part.

Clipboard01.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
HughesTooling

Here's the design done how I described above. Not sure if you wanted the thinned section wider than the main curved area, easy enough to edit the sketch.

Clipboard01.png

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
litodrums

Thank you for all your input. Lots to learn for sure. I appreciate all your input/advise.

Thank you

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums