Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Parallel pocketing

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
jludwigC73AM
288 Views, 6 Replies

3D Parallel pocketing

I know there has to be a way to use the 3D Parallel function to pocket. I just can't figure out what to select to tell Fusion to do so. I only ever end up with an empty toolpath, or the whole model being cut. I just want to be able to have a toolpath that clears a pocket in parallel lines, like this:

https://youtu.be/YAgT8oNwKhQ?t=354

Vectric VCarve has a pocket option called "raster". That's what I want.

In the attached file, I have what I believe is a toolpath that will rough out and then finish a contour around a pocket. My wish is then to use parallel lines to cut out the remaining foam so that it doesn't wrap around the end mill in long strings, as shown in the video. In the video, he specifically says he's using a 3D Parallel toolpath, and I'm just completely stuck.

Labels (3)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
engineguy
in reply to: jludwigC73AM

@jludwigC73AM 

See image below, all you need to do is select the base of the pocket and leave the tool setting to "Tool center on Boundary" and set the "Additional Offset" to a value that will move the toolpath inwards as in the image below, hope this helps, I just used 0.5in as an example 🙂 🙂

Pearl Nano.jpg

Example file attached

Message 3 of 7
jludwigC73AM
in reply to: engineguy

Thanks for this. Is there a reason I can't choose "keep tool inside boundary?" I can definitely do the math and make it work for me, but it would be nice not to have to.
Message 4 of 7
engineguy

@jludwigC73AM 

No real reason, you still have to set the "Additional Offset" as even if the tool will be inside the Boundary but it will have the tool against the wall unless there is an offset, I just thought the example was the easiest way forward 🙂

There really isn`t much math needed, you know the diameter of your tool so all you have to do is move it away from the wall a small amount, how far will depend on the width of the groove that you create with your Contour, if a very small gap and a small tool then you will need to do a small Offset etc, etc  🙂 🙂 🙂

Message 5 of 7
jludwigC73AM

Got another question. I'm able to get the paths to stay within my boundaries, so thank you for that. But it's cutting air. I can't figure out how to make it go down into the material. I selected the bottom boundary of the pocket. It didn't allow me to select a face, only an edge. Everything looks good, except I can't make it cut down. Can you show me your settings on the next tabs as well?

Thanks

Message 6 of 7
jludwigC73AM
in reply to: engineguy

Got another question. I'm able to get the paths to stay within my boundaries, so thank you for that. But it's cutting air. I can't figure out how to make it go down into the material. I selected the bottom boundary of the pocket. It didn't allow me to select a face, only an edge. Everything looks good, except I can't make it cut down. Can you show me your settings on the next tabs as well?
Message 7 of 7
jludwigC73AM

Never mind, I realized I could download the file you uploaded and look myself.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report