Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3d machining

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
tomNP5GM
225 Views, 4 Replies

3d machining

Hi there,

Was hoping for some advice, we do quite a bit of 2d machining on our 3 axis cnc which we export from fusion into vectric software for all the 2d toolpathing. I have a part that requires some 3d machining out of a block of foam PVC which has lots of contours and material removal. I have attached a picture of the part that is to be machined, any info on how would be best to machine this part (I know quite general) but most videos i have seen are for more intricate machine with limited pockets e.t.c.

Many thanks

Tom

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
watson.troy
in reply to: tomNP5GM

3D Adaptive to get rid of most of the stock , then a combination of 2D contour and 3D parallel with either of ball or bull nose endmill should do everything on that part.  

Message 3 of 5
tomNP5GM
in reply to: watson.troy

Thankyou for that I shall give it a try with those toolpaths.

thanks for your help.

cheers

Tom

Message 4 of 5
tomNP5GM
in reply to: watson.troy

i have managed to get that to work however when I do a 2d contour to remove the middle section when i do a 3d adaptive after that toolpath to machine the visible part it tries to machine the block from the middle ?

Message 5 of 5
watson.troy
in reply to: tomNP5GM

1. 3D Adaptive rough out part with .010 stock to leave

2. 3D parallel on all sloped sections with bull nose endmill

3. 3D Flat to get all flat areas

4. 2D contour around inside and outside of part

That is how I would most likely do it and in that order, I might flip the parallel and flat around but I don't know if it would make that much of a difference. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report