Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Adaptive: Not milling low enough unless the bottom height is RAISED (not lowered)

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
FrodoLoggins
112 Views, 1 Reply

3D Adaptive: Not milling low enough unless the bottom height is RAISED (not lowered)

Hi so I have a 3D adaptive toolpath that won't mill low enough inside a few pockets. The bottom height is set to the model bottom and flat area detection is enabled with a fine stepdown of .001". Tool leaves about 10 thou on the floor though:

Screenshot 2023-09-07 at 9.04.53 AM.png

However, if I actually raise the bottom height by selecting the bottom of the pocket as my desired bottom height, the toolpath generates as expected:

Screenshot 2023-09-07 at 9.07.12 AM.png

EDIT: Exact opposite issue on a similar toolpath:

Screenshot 2023-09-07 at 10.04.43 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-09-07 at 10.06.30 AM.png

- Time Magazine’s Person of the Year 2006
- Apple M1 Max rMBP A2485 // Latest MacOS // Latest Fusion
- Usually working off files uploaded to Fusion as: Step, STL, SLDPRT. If it matters ask me.
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

I run into this issue often enough, I prefer to turn off flat area detection and make your fine stepdown size equal to the difference of the bottom selection and your "2nd level" of pockets. You can also do 2 different toolpaths, one for the deeper and shallower set of pockets.  

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report