Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Adaptive Clearing returns error 'empty toolpath'

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
tomsaubi
513 Views, 4 Replies

3D Adaptive Clearing returns error 'empty toolpath'

I'm trying to do a test/calibration carve on my new machine using adaptive clearing. However, whatever boundaries I select or settings I use, I just get the error 'empty toolpath'.

The exception is if I turn off rest machining, it then mills the outside of the block. Not what I want, and I also don't understand why this would happen!

I'm pretty sure I'm missing something obvious, but if anyone can point me in the right direction, would be a great help. Cheers

Labels (4)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
seth.madore
in reply to: tomsaubi

Adaptive is going to be about the worst toolpath you can imagine if you're trying to get it to cut an Adaptive in those slots and pockets. You have about 1mm of clearance on each side and your machine is not gonna like it one bit.

If this is a test piece, I encourage you to increase the size of the features or decrease the size of the tool.

Problems with current process:

1) Min cutting radius is set to .6mm. You only have .5mm on each side of tool between the slots

2) Stock to leave is .5mm, thus rendering your toolpath nonexistent

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 5
engineguy

@tomsaubi 

I get the same as Seth @seth.madore  for this, your 6mm tool is way too big and as Seth rightly points out Adaptive toolpaths are not right for the job, both the 3D and 2D Adaptive toolpaths will work with a 3mm tool, if you want to use your 6mm then the best toolpath by far is a simple 2D Pocket 🙂

Here is a 3D ADaptive using 3mm cutter.

3D Adaptive3D Adaptive

Here is a 2D Adaptive using 3mm cutter

x and y 2D adaptive.jpg

Here is a 2D Pocket using the 6mm cutter

x and y 2D Pocket.jpg

Yoy could even use a 2D Contour or a Trace toolpath 🙂 🙂

File attached

Stay Safe

Regards

Rob

Message 4 of 5
tomsaubi
in reply to: seth.madore

That's a good point - there isn't enough space for the adaptive part of the toolpath to take place...

Thanks to both of you for pointing that out!

There's something I don't understand though - why does the 0.5mm stock to leave make any difference? The pocket is much deeper than that...

Message 5 of 5
seth.madore

It's not the depth, it's the width

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report