Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3d adaptive clearing. newbie here can't select machine boundary on 3d model boundary

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
sellards
201 Views, 5 Replies

3d adaptive clearing. newbie here can't select machine boundary on 3d model boundary

new here. my question isi select 3d adaptive clearing geometry tab how do I select machine boundaries? the pointer on the mouse will not select anything on the 3d boundary I am assuming that is why I can't generate tool paths as well. Fill should be attached to this. thanks 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
a.laasW8M6T
in reply to: sellards

Hi

The problem is that the model is a mesh rather than a proper solid model.

You cannot select any edges with meshes, and can only apply 3D type toolpaths.

I would recommend getting the model in a different format like STEP or IGES etc. which Fusion will like much better.

If you cannot get the model in another format then you could Remodel the body in Fusion, It is a relatively simple part so shouldn't take long to do.

Message 3 of 6
sellards
in reply to: a.laasW8M6T

Yea that solved it I purchased a different file today now the adaptive clearing works fine . The next problem I have now is this warning when I try to finish the pockets and contour with the same 1/4 end mill 

Message 4 of 6
a.laasW8M6T

Hi

There is no image of the warning or file attached to your post?

When sharing images use this button

alaasW8M6T_0-1710963373708.png

rather than attaching them too, they will show up inline with the post

Message 5 of 6
sellards
in reply to: a.laasW8M6T

hopefully I have some attachments to this message now the file hopefully is attached thanks so much . 

Message 6 of 6
seth.madore

Because this guitar body is lacking any complex 3d curves, you can do pretty much everything with the toolpaths available in the 2D section; 2D Pocket, Contour, Adaptive etc.

It's not clear to me what you were trying to cut with the 3D Contour, as your area of selection was rather limited (being only one corner of the part)

2024-03-21_05h58_34.png

Are you planning on machining the entire model with that .250" tool? The body is 1.75 thick and your tool has less than half that for length of cut, and only 1.25" stickout.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report