Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2nd op material remaining > saved as STL > No option to convert to solid

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
brandon.thompson57
330 Views, 11 Replies

2nd op material remaining > saved as STL > No option to convert to solid

I have created a part to test a 2nd op operation.

I have remaining material i want to machine for a second operation. I watched a few youtubes about guys running the simulation. Then saving it as a stl with the removed materil. Then importing the STL into fusion and they throw it in a new design. Go to the top and click (Do not capture design history) > then they went down to the Mesh file right clicked and were able to make the mesh into a solid body.

Mine however, isnt working in that manner. I uploaded the file i was trying to do it in.

Let me know if its a setting or maybe the way i imported the stl. 

Thanks in advance

Bfunk

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Can you share that video you are referring to?

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 12

https://youtu.be/Nyd13I73NUE

this is the first one I tried to follow 

then the second one was from another guy and that didn’t work either 

https://youtu.be/pRfEFG8ZriU

biggest thing is I’m trying to setup two op operations and be able to remove remaining stock from

previous operation 

Message 4 of 12

Could you share your initial model file, with all the CAM in it?
File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d file in your reply

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 12

To directly answer your question; the Mesh>Brep has been moved to the Mesh Tab. Depending on your license, you may or may not see these options:

2023-03-05_09h16_34.png

First, you generate Face Groups. After that, you click the "Mesh to Brep" button, select "Prismatic" and boom, end up with this:

2023-03-05_09h17_31.png

All that said, it's likely there's an even easier way. When you create your second Setup, just click the "From Preceding Setup" and Continue Rest Machining

2023-03-05_09h18_51.png

 And here's what that gives me for stock display at Simulation:

2023-03-05_09h19_20.png

Seth Madore
Message 6 of 12

@seth.madore 

I have the hobbyist version, hoping to pull the trigger on the full version coming up

The rest machining you said will show the remaining stock? Which makes me think the way i modeled this up may interfere with that. Open to your thoughts on how i should of done this.

I will attach the file, is there any good videos youd recommend on rest machining two operation setups?

thanks

brandon

Message 7 of 12

Give this video a watch, let me know if you have any further questions!

Seth Madore
Message 8 of 12

I believe this is related to this topic.

I have been wanting to use a remaining stock point in a second operation setup.  The basic idea is very simple, I want to face a piece of bar stock and machine one end smooth. The stock is shorter than my vise jaws are wide so I will cantilever one end out of the jaws for smoothing. Then I want to turn the stock over and swap ends so I can face the other side and smooth the stock to the correct length. The trouble is that once turned over the point on the partly machined part that I want to use as my setup origin is neither a stock box point nor a model point.

I have been able to make this work by saving the simulated stock from the first setup as a mesh and importing.  However, Fusion shows me the point I want to use if I select the last operation from the first setup.  It seems like the box points of the stock at the end of the first setup are already known and saving and importing a mesh should not be necessary.  If I make a change to the stock size then I have to re-save and re-import the mesh.  

Is there a better way?

Thanks

Message 9 of 12
seth.madore
in reply to: taitsmith7

@taitsmith7 you can use "Selected Point" and select a corner on point on the model, would that work?

If that doesn't answer your question, could you share your Fusion file here?

File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d file in your reply

Seth Madore
Message 10 of 12
taitsmith7
in reply to: seth.madore

Here is a model file and a screen shot of the point I want to select.  It is neither a stock point, a model point, or a point that can be selected.  This scenario has happened many times for me.

Message 11 of 12

Ah, I understand. In this case, you're going to have to construct a point:

Seth Madore
Message 12 of 12

Thanks for the reply.  That is easier than the Mesh export.  Having the option of selecting a "remaining stock point" would be so helpful though.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report