Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2D Profile is Joining Discrete Selections

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
werksmini
134 Views, 4 Replies

2D Profile is Joining Discrete Selections

This seems to be new behavior to me. Attached is an image and file for reference. 

When I select a single profile I get a toolpath generated as I would expect. When I add a second contour, one that does not connect to the first, but where the toolpath would overlap, I get a strange clipped synthesis of the two. Has 2D contour become model aware in some way? In the past 2D contour has been gloriously ignorant. 

Single contour selected

single selection.JPG

single selection path.JPG

Two Contours Selected

second selection.JPG

second selection path.JPG

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
HughesTooling
in reply to: werksmini

You haven't included a setup and 2d profile so have to guess you're trying to use a 1/4 tool in a 1/4 slot? This will tend to fail as there's no clearance. What you can do is enable stock to leave and set it to a very small negative radial offset like -0.0005.

HughesTooling_0-1705488570507.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
werksmini

Thank you for the reply Mark.

That's odd, the file that I saved out does include any manufacturing data as you noted. The saved file does have a setup. It looks like if you export from the File tab it includes CAM data, but if you right click -> export from the Design environment it does not. Here is a link to the file as well as attached. https://a360.co/48BusaS

I recognize that slotting to size isn't ideal, this is just a test to demonstrate the behavior. My question is, has 2D contour always been model aware? I've seen plenty of 2d toolpaths in the past that have gouged or otherwise fouled the part. 

Also, if you break this out into two separate toolpaths, I get the result that I would expect. My curiosity is why it's joining to discrete contours. It does this when selecting either the edges of a body or a sketch profile. 

I would expect this if the contour were connected and the tool couldn't fit between the two contours, but not in a case with two separate ones. 

Separate toolpaths:

werksmini_0-1705489124275.png

Message 4 of 5
HughesTooling

2d profile is not model aware, you are select 2 line that are 1/4 inch apart and because there's no gap it is failing and this has always been the case. This is partly a floating point maths problem, Fusion works internally in CM so if everything fits perfectly with no rounding errors it might work in some circumstances but in general it will fail.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
werksmini

Fair enough. The workaround would then be to setup duplicate toolpaths that don't overlap themselves. Thanks for the insight Mark.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report