Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2D Pocket: side of contour can not be selected

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
markus_sc
262 Views, 6 Replies

2D Pocket: side of contour can not be selected

Hello,

I am very new in Fusion360 and CNC, but I have one question which follows me since days and makes me headache.

I want to do a 2d pocket which is 0,3mm deep with an engraver. This is also already in the model if i change to processing-tab of Fusion360.

Here I can create a new setup and try to do the pocket as follows:

- select 2d / 2d pocket

- selected as pocket I clicked on the ground of the pocket. (I also tried different ways to get the pocket like selecting the contour on the surface or the contour at the bottom of the pocket.)

Against my expectations I do not get the arrow to switch between inner and outer pocket. Every time I try this, the pocket is left over and the rest around it gets milled. I know, that the edges with very tiny spaces will not be that correct, but that is not the point. I only want to learn how to do it on a little piece of wood.

On the other hand: If I use the 2D contour functionality , the arrow for changing the processed side of the contour does appear and I can select if I want the contour or the surrounding material.

I would really appreciate if somebody could give me a hint what I am doing wrong.

Thanks in advance,

Markus

Labels (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jhackney1972
in reply to: markus_sc

I think you want to use the Engrave function and use the extrusion sketch only.  Set the bottom height depth to 0.3mm and you will get what you want.  Model is attached.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 7
HughesTooling

If you want to clear the whole pocket, here's one way using 2d contour with multiple passes. File's attached.

HughesTooling_0-1618219017457.png

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 7
markus_sc
in reply to: jhackney1972

Thank you very much for your quick response, I did not calculated it this fast 😉

But I have to say, that I want the complete pocket to be cleared, so engraving is only for the outline, right?

Greetings

Markus

Message 5 of 7
markus_sc
in reply to: HughesTooling

Thanks you very much for this quick response. This is exactly the way I searched to solve it. Now I will check out your settings of the pocket to get the attributes that made that possible. So you mentioned multiple passes. So it should be this settings here, right?

markus_sc_0-1618238889725.png

Thank you very much,

Markus

Sorry, I use at the moment the german language.

Message 6 of 7
markus_sc

If i open your temp.f3d everything seems fine, the toolpath is perfect.
But If I than want to check the settings and do not change anything and click "ok" to close, the toolpath is completely changed to this:

markus_sc_0-1618239307950.png

And as I sayed, I did not change any settings in the 2D contour.

Message 7 of 7
HughesTooling

@markus_sc  Sorry missed your reply. The problem might be that that I have the 2d Contour Face Selection option enabled.

HughesTooling_0-1618826061749.png

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report