Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2d Pocket section and Trace

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
vwarren6N66W
314 Views, 12 Replies

2d Pocket section and Trace

Since the last update I've had several issues with 2d pocket. I create geometry that basically looks like the top of a lego to machine. When selecting the pocket the resulting toolpath is nuts, it repeats going to the starting point and travelling one path repeatedly to get to the other side of the part only to machine 1 second of new machining before returning to the start and repeating. I've seen it travel 40 seconds to machine 1 second then go to the beginning. In the past I could reconcile this by selecting the outside border then selecting the base of each column to go around. In order to do this after the update I would have to select the outside then select chain, then select my base and then ok for each individual column to go around. Also the trace command used to have arrows indicating tool direction that you could click on to change direction on the fly. Now, the only way to tell direction is to preview the cut and you have to check reverse in a dialog box to change direction. These changes have cut productivity by about 75%. 

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
seth.madore
in reply to: vwarren6N66W

Would you be able to share your Fusion file here?
File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d file in your reply

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 13
vwarren6N66W
in reply to: seth.madore

This is the file for the 2d pocket issue. It's not file specific but I know this one generates a very redundant toolpath

Message 4 of 13
seth.madore

Ewww, that's terrible!

Going to play around with the file for a bit to see what's going on...

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 13
seth.madore

I've logged CAM-42682 to investigate this issue.

As a workaround, I found that 3D Pocket Clearing does a very nice job of this toolpath, and it calculates in a slightly shorter time than the 2D Pocket does:

2023-02-07_04h35_10.png

Seth Madore
Message 6 of 13
vwarren6N66W

The functionality of the 3d pocket seems to work, ie , when you select the outside boundary you can add the inner boundaries with a single mouse click to add to the chain. When using the 2d pocket it becomes a 3 click process, click chain, click the contour and then click ok for each individual inner boundary. Before the last update multiple contours could be selected with a single click while holding cntrl. 

Message 7 of 13
vwarren6N66W

Also, as a side note: if there is a hole through the part that intersects the boundary of one of the columns fusion will balk and only generate half the toolpath without any errors displayed.

Message 8 of 13
seth.madore

@vwarren6N66W wrote:

Also, as a side note: if there is a hole through the part that intersects the boundary of one of the columns fusion will balk and only generate half the toolpath without any errors displayed.

Do you have a sample file that shows that behavior, I'd like to look and see if it's similar to other issues I've logged recently

Seth Madore
Message 9 of 13
vwarren6N66W

Here is one I have. I got around it by cutting the column off flat before the hole. 

Message 10 of 13
seth.madore

Got it. Yep, that's a bug, I'll get it logged this morning:

Snag_11bd0b04.png

Seth Madore
Message 11 of 13
seth.madore

Before I log this issue, I was wondering what's going on here:

Snag_12605c19.png

When we select the entire face and have no "Stock Contour", I would expect to see the entire face machines (minus the Lego bosses). Is that part of your question as well?

Seth Madore
Message 12 of 13
vwarren6N66W

This happens when there is a hole that intersects one of the lego bosses. Sometimes the result is different, but we don't get the toolpath for the entire face. The current 2d pocket doesn't remove the lego bosses if you select the outer contour, they have to be selected manually one at a time. The 3d pocket boundary selection does let you multi select the border and the lego bosses without having to go back and forth to the menu. The 2d pocket selection should work like 3d pocket in that respect. It did before the update.

Message 13 of 13
seth.madore

I've opened up CAM-42730 to investigate this issue, sorry you've encountered this issue

Seth Madore

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report