Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2d Pocket Operation

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
echatzief
630 Views, 16 Replies

2d Pocket Operation

Hi,

I am creating a 2d pocket operation for my setups and the toolpath being generated doesn't seem to clear the whole pocket face selected. I want to treat, both open and closed pockets, with the same method removing all of the pocket face without leaving any stock. The problem I'm facing here is that the tool's entry point is the very left (or right) edge of the pocket face (which is right), BUT I WANT THE TOOL'S CENTER TO BE PLACED ON THE EDGE, IN ORDER TO START THERE, AND NOT INSIDE OF THE POCKET.

So let's say I have recognized a pocket in my part where it's length (on the x axis) is equal to 684 mm starting from 0 to 684. The tool I'm using for the operation has 3 mm diameter, so the entry point of it (the center of the tool) is now 1.5 mm (on the x axis), and I want it to be 0 mm, so the center is placed on the very left edge of the pocket, and the remaining 1.5 mm will be outside from the pocket (on the left) and inside of the pocket (on the right). That way the pocket is being cleared the proper way, without leaving any uncut material. I want to treat the closed pocket (see jpg attached) the same way, meaning I want to trim 1.5mm (with 3 mm tool) of the part (OUTSIDE OF THE POCKET) both on the left and right side of the pocket.

I have tried using the "stock to leave" option, but when setting the radial stock to leave equal to -1.499 (approximately equal to the tool radius), it removes stock both on the x axis (where I want) and on the y axis (where I do not want), cause the geometry I chose is the pocket face.

I have thought of creating to sketch lines parallel to the pocket height and placed 1.5 mm left to the starting edge of the pocket and 1.5 mm right to the last edge of it, but that will take quite a computational time and I would like to avoid it.

Thank you in advance.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
seth.madore
in reply to: echatzief

Would you be able to share your Fusion file here or privately?
File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d file in your reply. To share the file privately, it's the same process, but email it to me: seth DOT madore AT autodesk DOT com

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 17
echatzief

Hi, I have attached the .f3d file, please let me know if you have any trouble opening it.
Thank you!

Message 4 of 17
seth.madore

Hmm. That file isn't opening for me, could you export and share again?

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 17
echatzief

Hi Seth, sorry for the inconvenience.

Please try the attached file.

Message 6 of 17
seth.madore

Try this:

Seth Madore
Message 7 of 17
seth.madore

In the method above, it's going to extend the toolpath out to the stock contour. If you want to reduce that amount (due to machine travel), you can turn on Stock Contours and select the part profile. This will scoot in the toolpath a small amount:

2023-07-26_08h56_58.png

Seth Madore
Message 8 of 17
echatzief

Hi seth, thank you for your response.

I'll try that asap.

Can I follow the same steps for a closed pocket as well (see attached image)?

Thank you!

Message 9 of 17
seth.madore

@echatzief wrote:

Can I follow the same steps for a closed pocket as well (see attached image)?

Thank you!

You want to intentionally violate the end walls?

Seth Madore
Message 10 of 17
echatzief

Hi Seth, yes I want to do that.

Message 11 of 17
seth.madore

Press the ALT key and select one side of the slot. Turn on Stock Contours and you'll get this:

2023-07-31_15h13_04.png

Seth Madore
Message 12 of 17
echatzief

Hi Seth, I want to thank you for both your answers and the time spent on my problem from your side.

I have tried your suggestions for open and closed pocket examples, achieving a better result compared to mine, but still there is something that needs to be resolved. I was wishing if you could help me here as well, that's why I'm attaching two jpeg files containing both the tool entry point achieved now(wrong), and the desired one(right).

I want the tool center to be aligned with the outer vertical edge of my pocket, and not tool_radius (mm) away from it.

This needs to be accomplished both for open and closed pockets.

Thank you in advance!

Message 13 of 17
echatzief

Jpg files.

Message 14 of 17
seth.madore

And you want to plunge and retract as shown in the "rightWay.jpg" image, yes?
Can you share a file that you're working on?

Seth Madore
Message 15 of 17
echatzief

Yes Seth, this is what I want to achieve.

The file I'm working on remains the same.

Thank you again!

Message 16 of 17
seth.madore

Seth Madore
Message 17 of 17
echatzief

Seth, I want to thank you for the solution you provided me!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report